Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Heraclius follis imitation?  (Read 427 times)

Offline Bebek2006

• Praetorian
Heraclius follis imitation?
« on: April 14, 2023, 08:51:43 am »
Hi!
I have bought a follis of Heraclius overstrucked on Justin II follis. In my opinion the style of letters and bust is incorect. I think also this coin was strucked with damaged dies. The majority of Heraclius coins is made much better than mine specimen, for this reason I think this coin is an imitation. Am I right?
Could it by an arabic or maby military imitation?

Regards,
Karol

Offline Bebek2006

• Praetorian
Re: Heraclius follis imitation?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2023, 11:21:43 am »
BUMP.

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2023, 08:54:50 pm »
I think it is probably an official mint issue. I see no problem with the reverse.  For the obverse, I note that the portrait hows the face with a V shape.  Most of Heraclius's coins show a more rounded face, but a few specimens from the earlier years also have the shape that spilled over from the Focas years.   

Offline Bebek2006

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2023, 11:54:57 am »
Hi!
Lot of thanks for Your answer.
IMO on the reverse for example officina letter looks strange, not like common gamma, M and CON are engraved very scruffy and word ANNO should be much smaller, becaus it is outside the wreath...

Regards,
Karol

All coins are guaranteed for eternity