Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Slings Were Lethal  (Read 309 times)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Slings Were Lethal
« on: February 27, 2023, 11:04:08 pm »
I often see sling bullets come up for sale and I think Forum may have a couple right now. I have often wondered just how effective they were as weapons. It turns out they were far more lethal than I had ever imagined. This was originally in National Geographic, but that article is behind a paywall. I found a Daily Mail article that reports on it. I thought a sling bullet might give you a good bruise or really hurt you if it hit certain places. But, they were almost as lethal as a bullet fired from a gun. Also, the Romans had "whistling" bullets that served to scare the enemy with the sound. Interesting stuff.

Roman sling bullets used against Scottish tribes 2,000 years ago were as deadly as a .44 Magnum: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4541318/
Virgil

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Slings Were Lethal
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2023, 12:28:03 pm »
Here is one I just added that shows signs of an extremely hard impact....

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?vpar=3125
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Re: Slings Were Lethal
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2023, 02:25:23 pm »
Altamura, those are fascinating articles. Thanks for posting. Joe, that bullet that shows impact is very cool, as well.

Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity