Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Slings Were Lethal  (Read 307 times)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Slings Were Lethal
« on: February 27, 2023, 11:04:08 pm »
I often see sling bullets come up for sale and I think Forum may have a couple right now. I have often wondered just how effective they were as weapons. It turns out they were far more lethal than I had ever imagined. This was originally in National Geographic, but that article is behind a paywall. I found a Daily Mail article that reports on it. I thought a sling bullet might give you a good bruise or really hurt you if it hit certain places. But, they were almost as lethal as a bullet fired from a gun. Also, the Romans had "whistling" bullets that served to scare the enemy with the sound. Interesting stuff.

Roman sling bullets used against Scottish tribes 2,000 years ago were as deadly as a .44 Magnum: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4541318/
Virgil

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Slings Were Lethal
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2023, 12:28:03 pm »
Here is one I just added that shows signs of an extremely hard impact....

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?vpar=3125
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Re: Slings Were Lethal
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2023, 02:25:23 pm »
Altamura, those are fascinating articles. Thanks for posting. Joe, that bullet that shows impact is very cool, as well.

Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity