Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Byzantine Coins Discussion Forum

Sword or Spear?

(1/1)

Simon:
This is a John II half tetarteron, the official description has St. Demetrius holding a sword, however when looking at my other photographed example it appears clearly to be a spear. I have psted three examples, two that look like spears one that looks like a sword.

Is this a variation #1 or was the description misattributed to begin with. Opinions are welcome, as are other examples.

:Greek_Beta:

glebe:
Tricky question when you think of it.
Spears are often held across the body but still I'd call this a short spear or javelin.
The odd thing is that it is jewelled like a sceptre, although of course the saint is in military attire (and saints don't carry sceptres as far as I can recall).

Ross G.

Gert:
I also think it must be a spear:

1) Taking into account contemporary images of St. Demetrios on seals, they all show spears.
2) In depictions of Saints or emperors holding a sword in a similar upward way, the sword is engraved with more mass, i.e. like an actual sword. Compare the nomismata of Isaac Comnenus, and especially his seals, which have a half-length bust like St. Demetrios (https://www.doaks.org/resources/online-exhibits/gods-regents-on-earth-a-thousand-years-of-byzantine-imperial-seals/not-born-in-the-purple-interlopers-and-usurpers/isaac-i-komnenos-1057-59)
3) The weapon in the hands of St. Demetrios does not have cross-guard, which would be expected if it was a sword.
Regards
Gert

joma-tk:
Spear,
at least on the attached example

tk

Simon:

--- Quote from: joma-tk on February 13, 2023, 02:17:44 pm ---Spear,
at least on the attached example

tk

--- End quote ---

Thank you and that is a really nice example.  I have yet to find any clear example of a sword. It must be a mistake.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version