Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unusual (Roman?) Buckle  (Read 468 times)

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
Unusual (Roman?) Buckle
« on: December 30, 2022, 08:33:04 pm »
Saw this cool variation passing by and was wondering if it possibly could be roman. It's quite elaborate and has some of the openwork elements you see on roman stuff. It appears to be a buckle/hinge.

Anyone seen these before?  ;D

58mm x 45mm, 16.4g

Offline Frans Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
Re: Unusual (Roman?) Buckle
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2023, 07:00:37 pm »
My initial guess would be Byzantinian 9th(9) century.

Frans

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2023, 10:41:33 am »
This is the open-work leaf pendant found at the bottom of a 2nd-3rd century Roman sword baldric.

It is turned 90 degrees, it should have the hinge at the top and end in a leaf-shaped point.

Nice item.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2023, 11:32:18 am »
This is the open-work leaf pendant found at the bottom of a 2nd-3rd century Roman sword baldric.

It is turned 90 degrees, it should have the hinge at the top and end in a leaf-shaped point.

Nice item.

SC

Thanks for the ID Shawn  ;D, I indeed see it now I googled some baldric belts.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity