Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > History and Archeology

Possible discovery of a new Roman usurper emperor?

<< < (7/8) > >>

Molinari:
A nice corpus of barbarous types, which someone posted on another forum:

http://barbarous-imitations.narod.ru/index/podrazhanija_zolotym_monetam/0-87

Tacitus:
I seem to remember that Saturninus coinage were originally declared a fraud, or ancient imitation as well, then turned out to be a genuine usurper.. That with only 2 known specimens.

So let's not be so quick.  My main question, is why can't his coins be genuine?  So what, no one heard of him..  He may have only lasted a week or so from a small area in Dacia. Possibly killed by local troops or public officials or locals..  Just long enough to mint a few coins and when the locals realized he had no hope, or they were loyal, he got himself killed.  I am sure there are a LOT of people who tried to become emperor that no one today remembers or history lost their name....

Virgil H:
I have been reading this with interest. I have no basis, but my gut feel is what Tacitus said. This guy may have declared himself emperor from a small region and lasted a week and the powers that were in other parts of the empire never even knew about him or found out that there had been a rebellious commander in a province later. Who knows, but it is certainly not out of the realm of possibility and he wouldn't have been the only one.

Virgil

Ron C2:
I think it's equally possible the coin was minted after 275 when the Romans withdrew from Dacia, but the local romanized Carpi tribes tried to keep semblance of Roman order for a few decades before the goths put and end to all that.

But again, it's all just speculation and underlines that all the researched showed is the coin has wear on it (either from circulation or by other means), and that it was buried for a long time, long enough to leave chemically detectable surface evidence, exact duration TBD. 

The rest is just scholarly fancy.

Dominic T:
It’s fantastic to read the opinion of so many experts here. I’m not one of them, but my own researchs taught me that this coin has NOT been struck between December 10-19 1582 AD.
DT

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version