Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > History and Archeology

Possible discovery of a new Roman usurper emperor?

<< < (3/8) > >>

*Alex:
They all have the same "slitty" eyes.

I do not like the look of any of these coins and I think they should all be in the "Fake coin reports", but that is only my personal opinion. Pay me no heed.  ;D

Alex

mauseus:
My personal opinion is that these need to be judged in the light of other grave goods from "barbaricum", particularly the movement of gold from the Roman world for tribute or mercenary payments for example. Those products provide a starting point for local art and we should not get hung up over a new emperor being accepted. The Gordian is obviously based on the Martem Propugnatorem reverse.

There are stylistic links to this fourth century medallion, as an example, Valentinian and Valens, I believe, in Berlin.

I think we are looking at local products from the edge, or beyond the Roman world. Names may or may not reflect a local ruler

Mauseus

cicerokid:
Fake coin report please!

The "Scientific" analysis is not!

mauseus:
Further reading.

The full paper, not news article, is in the open access journal PLOS below

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0274285

Regards,

Mauseus

*Alex:
In the picture of the "Guardian" coin (below), the P of Sponsian looks more like a retrograde C to me. If we are talking about a genuine ancient coin but a barbaric issue with garbled legends then IMP S CONSTAN ... doesn't seem to be beyond the bounds of possibility, even though these issues ostensibly predate the time of the Constantines. Does anyone know their actual date of production (assuming it is before the 18th Century)?

I personally don't believe for one nanosecond that an actual emperor called Sponsian ever existed. I myself own a genuine ancient coin of a non existent emperor. It is a barbaric issue of Tetricus II citing him as Augustus rather than Caesar in the legend. It had me wondering whether it could be evidence of him being elevated to that rank when I first got the coin many years ago but I am a lot less credulous when it comes to barbaric issues now.

Alex

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version