Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Dogs in Antiquity  (Read 1714 times)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Dogs in Antiquity
« on: October 09, 2022, 11:02:56 pm »
We have discussed domestic dogs on coins in the past. I specifically look for them and have acquired a couple. The image is Roman Republic, C. Antestius, I provide as a visual for this non-coin post. I thought the following might be of interest, that the ancients (in this case Greeks and Romans) loved their dogs as much as modern people do. There are a number of great dog stories from the past, from Alexander the Great naming a city after his dog, to the body of Lysimachos kept from carrion for a day or two on the battlefield by his faithful dog before his body was found and recovered, to the saddest (to me) part of The Odyssey, Odysseus meeting his dog Argos when the old dog recognized him and Odysseus could not acknowledge his old friend.

Below are a collection of dog epitaphs from Greek and Roman times, mostly found in roadside tombs built by the humans who loved them. It reminds me of the roadside crosses we often see in the South for people killed in car accidents. Until recently, I had no idea that some dogs were memorialized this way in ancient times. Pretty cool, I think. There is also a lot of ancient art, in addition to coins, with dogs. They have evolved with humans longer than any other species.

“I am in tears, while carrying you to your last resting place as much as I rejoiced when bringing you home in my own hands fifteen years ago.”

“This is the tomb of the dog, Stephanos, who perished, Whom Rhodope shed tears for and buried like a human. I am the dog Stephanos, and Rhodope set up a tomb for me.”

"You who pass on this path, if you happen to see this monument, laugh not, I pray, though it is a dog's grave. Tears fell for me, and the dust was heaped above me by a master's hand."

“My eyes were wet with tears, our little dog, when I bore thee (to the grave)… So, Patricus, never again shall thou give me a thousand kisses. Never canst thou be contentedly in my lap. In sadness have I buried thee, and thou deservist. In a resting place of marble, I have put thee for all time by the side of my shade. In thy qualities, sagacious thou wert like a human being. Ah, me! What a loved companion have we lost!”

"Myia never barked without reason, but now, he is silent."

"To Helena, foster child, soul without comparison and deserving of praise."
Note: confirmed this was a dog’s tomb and that the dog was seen as a family member, ie., foster child

"Here the stone says it holds the white dog from Melita, the most faithful guardian of Eumelus. Bull, they called him when he was yet alive, but now, his voice is prisoned in the silent pathways of night."

"Issa's more pert than Lesbia's sparrow love, Purer than kisses of a turtle-dove, More sweet than a hundred maidens rolled in one, Rarer than wealthy India's precious stone. She is pet of Publius, Issa dear, She whines, a human voice you seem to hear."

And my favorite perhaps, although the one for Stephanos’ ranks right up there.

"Surely, even as you lie dead in this tomb, I deem the wild beasts yet fear your white bones, huntress Lycas; and your valor great Pelion knows, and splendid Ossa and the lonely peaks of Cithaeron."

Cheers,
Virgil

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Re: Dogs in Antiquity
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2022, 01:19:45 am »
Woof.  I give this thread five stars. :<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=star' target='_blank'>star</a>: :<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=star' target='_blank'>star</a>: :<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=star' target='_blank'>star</a>: :<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=star' target='_blank'>star</a>: :<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=star' target='_blank'>star</a>:

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2022, 10:35:34 am »
I have not had a dog since childhood, but my daughter married an Italian, moved to Bologna, and left us her dog. What a joy he is!  I can understand the feelings behind these inscriptions. Dogs truly are man's best friend.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2022, 10:04:30 pm »
Adding an often-overlooked dog, standing between the Lares praestites.  The guardians of the city, have, in a way, their own guardian.  Cr 298/1;Caesia 1
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2022, 11:18:14 pm »
That is a nice one. I bid on a Dog series, Rome, 206-195 BC. AR Victoriatus, recently, and got blown out of the water. LOL. That one seems to also have the dog as guardian. My holy grail is the C. Mamilius Limetanus, Rome, 82 BC, AR Serrate Denarius with Odysseus and Argos. Mainly because my favorite book is The Odessey and that is the most poignant part of the entire book. I always wonder why Odysseus didn't take Argos with him, I would have taken my dog if it were possible. Although Argos probably lived a lot longer back home in Ithaca. That one is more affordable, but I want one with a decent quality dog and I keep getting outbid. I will get one at some point.

Cheers,
Virgil

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2022, 11:36:01 pm »
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2022, 11:56:04 pm »
I do look at that page from time to time when I remember (normally I am looking geographically). I need to do it more often. My biggest thing on dog coins is I won't buy one without a dog that is identifiable (many of the coins I see with Artemis and a dog, you can't really see the dog (not talking about your shop's coins here, just the types)). Many you can barely tell there is a dog there. But, yes, I check that page. I have almost bought one of the Bavaria coins you have now, but that is a bridge too far for now as it is so far out of my realm, although they are attractive coins. I may get one just because of the dog. I have looked at those a few times.

Virgil

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2022, 01:46:29 am »

My dog is from Phaestos Crete. Talos and never missing hound Laelaps.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=64686

Pekka K

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2022, 03:41:09 am »
Hi,

I have a dog to add to this thread,  sadly not a well preserved one as it came in a bulk lot of Greek coins years back. Picture quickly snapped on the phone, sorry.

Same in Kephallenia,  AE16mm,  3rd century BC. Obverse: head of Kephalos right.  Reverse: dog seated right with paw raised,  spear to right of the field. BMC Peloponnesus page 92, 25-29.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline shanxi

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2022, 05:47:12 am »
Two dogs

Antoninus Pius
Egypt, Alexandria.
Tetradrachm 141-142 (year 5)
Obv.: ΑΝΤⲰΝΙΝΟϹ ϹƐΒ ƐVϹΒ, laureate head of Antoninus Pius, r.
Rev.: Artemis advancing, r., drawing arrow from quiver at shoulder, holding bow; at feet, dog r. and in field, L-Ɛ
Ref.: Dattari-Savio Pl. 108, 2152 (this coin).
Billon, 24mm, 13.53g

and

Diadumenian as Caesar
Moesia Inferior, Nikopolis
1 Apr 217 - mid May 218 A.D.;
Consular Legate Statius Longinus
Obv.: M OΠEΛ ΔIAΔOΥMENIANOC K, bare headed, draped and cuirassed bust right, from behind
Rev.: VΠ CTA ΛONΓINOV NIKOΠOΛITΩN ΠΡOC I CTΡΩ, Artemis hunting: advancing right, bow in left, with right drawing arrow from quiver, dog running at feet;
AE,11.9g, 25.76mm
Ref.: Varbanov I p. 308, 3743; AMNG 1843; BMC -; SNG Cop -

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2022, 07:31:47 am »
I do look at that page from time to time when I remember (normally I am looking geographically). I need to do it more often. My biggest thing on dog coins is I won't buy one without a dog that is identifiable (many of the coins I see with Artemis and a dog, you can't really see the dog (not talking about your shop's coins here, just the types)). Many you can barely tell there is a dog there. But, yes, I check that page. I have almost bought one of the Bavaria coins you have now, but that is a bridge too far for now as it is so far out of my realm, although they are attractive coins. I may get one just because of the dog. I have looked at those a few times.

Virgil

Thanks Virgil. I am glad you are looking and finding the theme page useful. If you are logged in and go to the dogs page and click notify to the upper right of the page, you will receive an email anytime we make a change to the page. Thanks again, Joe
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2022, 05:10:25 pm »
For some reason, I couldn't get on the Forum at all yesterday. Thank you all for the dog coin posts, I didn't expect this to happen, but I am thrilled it did. I already posted it, but will put it here, as well. This Republican coin is simply beautiful. I love the portrait of Diana and the simplicity of the coin, especially the reverse, all the "white" space makes this a stunning coin. The texture is amazing, as well. It is

C. Postumius, Rome, 73 BC. AR Denarius
I would love to see more dog coins if anyone is so inclined.

Cheers,
Virgil

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2022, 06:08:56 pm »
I could have sworn I had a dog but when I looked it turned out to be a panther :(

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2022, 05:01:24 am »
Clearly the Romans loved their dogs.

One particularly charming piece is The lovers of Bordeaux It features a second or third century Gallo-Roman couple in bed with their dog curled up asleep at their feet. It was made by Pistillus, a potter who was working in France. We know this because on the back of the bed, there is an inscription: PISTILLVS FECIT (Pistillus did this).

It was made as a small decorative object, but there are also many examples of dogs being depicted on Roman sarcophagi.

The Musee Archeologie Nationalesite has a French language web page where you can read about it

See-

https://musee-archeologienationale.fr/collection/objet/couple-sur-un-lit-dit-les-amants-de-bordeaux

Steve

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2022, 07:50:27 pm »
I love this sculpture/ceramic.

Virgil

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
    • CONSERVATORI: Ancient Coins & Their Provenances
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2023, 05:51:07 pm »
This is more like it! I saw the dogs post in another board without many replies, but this is better. Great dogs here! I seem to recognize that Antoninus Pius Alexandrian Tetradrachm, that's a really great one...

Editing down my comment from the other post [LINK] but including the photos & historical comments:

Although hounds were popular on Greek coinage as well, Roman Republican denarii provide much more varied depictions of the breeds and contexts of dogs in their society. This issue from Moneyer C. Antestius is notable for illustrating what today might be described as a “lion cut,” popular for poodles and other water dogs. The dog itself is sometimes identified as a proto-poodle or water spaniel of some sort – a working dog. The “lion cut” is meant to permit buoyancy and warmth as the dog retrieved fowl from water. A similar breed may be portrayed on the denarius of L. Caesius, but in a distinctly domestic setting, hinting that, already in antiquity, canine coiffure may have been as much about fashion as function.

Peloponnesos, Argolid, Epidauros AE Dichalkoi or Chalkoi (16mm, 2.29g, 5h & 14mm, 3.25g, 12h), late 3rd century BCE. Laureate head of Asclepius / Dog Lying right.
To me, the lower type shows a dog that's clearly more active (looks to me like a "play-bow"!):

Dogs were considered healing animals by the Greeks, both physically (by licking wounds), and because they were companion animals of Asclepius, the main healing god. Pausanias [2.27; LINK] claimed that dogs roamed the grounds of the famous Asclepeion at Epidauros (the most famous Temple of Asclepius in the Greek world). (Snakes were his other companion animals, but it seems they knew better than to let snakes bite them for healing purposes!)
“Collect the collectors…” John W Adams’ advice to J Orosz (Asylum 38, 2: p51)

Galleries https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=27154

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2023, 07:59:17 pm »
Ha ha, I was just going to that other post I started and point you to this one. It was strange that this post took off and the other one didn't. This post is great, so it makes no difference. I love the coins you posted. My holy grail coin is the Republican coin with Odysseus and his dog Argo. It is not an uncommon coin, but budget is a consideration for me, I have lost a number in auctions. This is a coin I want in very nice condition with a clear dog. I will get one at some point.

Your comments about the variety of dog breeds is a good one. They had lapdogs and a wide variety of working dogs. And the Romans and Greeks (and other cultures, as well, I am sure) loved their dogs like we do today. I love that. The smaller dog on your coin looks like my dog (a feist), but with longer hair. The Feist is a working dog (they tree squirrels). The Antestius coin I have looks just like my dog. Yours has longer hair. I wonder if it is different dies or more wear on mine.

Happy to see this post revived, maybe we will see some more. I have at least one other I need to photograph and post, not great quality, just a nice coin with a dog.

Virgil

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2023, 12:20:13 am »
I always like to link to this old thread when the topic turns to dogs, just for the benefit of any newcomers or others who may have missed it:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=110827.0

Jimi (V-drome)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2023, 08:10:28 pm »
So, since this thread was more active, I thought I would post this one that I recently bid on and it hammered for 10X my max bid. LOL.

Sicily, Eryx AR Litra. Circa 409-400 BC. Aphrodite seated to right, holding dove; tree behind / Hound standing to right; swastika above. CNG E-238, lot 29; otherwise unpublished. 0.59g, 11mm, 3h.

Good Very Fine. Extremely Rare; possibly the second known of this rare variant type that shows Aphrodite seated to right as opposed to left.

Nice little coin.

Virgil

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2023, 10:27:55 am »
Great snag, Virgil. Congratulations. Always nice to nab a coin that you really want, even if you wind up paying 10x more than you thought. :) Like you, I've been there.

Tracy

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2023, 12:05:53 pm »
I didn't get this one, Tracey, the price went way above my budget. I do like the coin. I think rarity of it pushed it as high as it got. I didn't mean to give impression I owned that coin.

Virgil

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2023, 07:20:19 pm »
Hi Virgil,

Ah, you didn't imply that you won it; I simply read the first sentence too fast. Now that I read it again it is obvious to me that someone else won it for 10x your max bid. Perhaps next time, huh?

Tracy

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2023, 05:55:00 pm »
A wonderful terracotta dog sculpture has been found in Rome during construction work. Probably meant to be roof decoration, it is another example of the love people of Rome felt for their dogs 2,000 years ago.

See-

https://arkeonews.net/a-burial-complex-and-an-ancient-dog-statue-have-been-unearthed-during-excavations-in-appio-latino-quarter-the-rome/

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2023, 08:49:16 pm »
That is an amazing terracotta. Thanks for posting that.

Virgil

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2023, 10:31:57 am »
Ditto.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President