Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Nero Tetradrachm: Help with the interpretation of the inscription  (Read 1053 times)

Offline Prieure de Sion

• Praetorian
    • Yothr Collection
Hello, I am not getting anywhere with the translation and interpretation of the reverse legend. I would be very grateful for any further help.

Nero Tetradrachm
Prieur 1104
RPC I. 4383
https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/1/4383

Obverse: ΝΕΡΩΝΟΣ ΣΕΒΑΣΤΟΥ ΚΑΙΣΑΡΟΣ, ΦΙ (to r.)
Reverse: ΙΟΥΛΙΕΩΝ ΤΩΝ ΚΑΙ ΛΑΟΔΙΚΕΩΝ, ΑΡΙΣ (behind), ΙΣΑ (below), ΑΙΡ (in front)

ΙΟΥΛΙΕΩΝ = JOULIEON = Is this the honorary name Julia or is it meant here by the Julians?
ΤΩΝ = ?
ΚΑΙ = ?
ΛΑΟΔΙΚΕΩΝ = LAODIKEON = Laodicea
ΑΡΙΣ = ?
ΙΣΑ = ?
ΑΙΡ = year 111
Yothr Collection: https://yothr.me

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Nero Tetradrachm: Help with the interpretation of the inscription
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 05:46:52 am »
of (the people of) Ioulia and Laodicea ad Mare

According to the BM: " the epithet 'Ioulia' is thought to be connected to the visit of Julius Caesar to Syria in 47BC when he bestowed honours on the principal cities."

Offline Prieure de Sion

• Praetorian
    • Yothr Collection
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 07:08:55 am »
Ah that is superb. Thank you - so the first abbreviations are already clarified. That was very helpful.
Yothr Collection: https://yothr.me

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2022, 01:54:56 pm »
According to Eckhel, Doctrina vol. 3, p. 319, by his time no one had made any suggestions for the expansion of the abbreviations APIΣ and IΣA on this Laodicean tetradrachm of Nero.
Curtis Clay

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2022, 09:20:15 am »
For the other two, I can think of two possibilities: they may be magistrate's names (a lot of names start with Aris... / Isa... would leave Isagoras/Isagores or maybe Isaurikos looking at Münsterberg).

Another possibility is that they're understood as city epithets. Aris(ton) (the best) and Isa may refer to the value of Isegoria, political freedom & equality. There are some problems with both of these hypotheses of course (orthoghraphy and lack of parallels being the main ones), but maybe there's something I am overlooking.

Regards
Gert

All coins are guaranteed for eternity