Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Electrum Aspron Trachy of Alexius I Comnenus SBCV-1915  (Read 918 times)

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
Electrum Aspron Trachy of Alexius I Comnenus SBCV-1915
« on: June 26, 2022, 05:48:09 am »
I am getting closer to my goal of completing the 12th century of all denominations from Alexius I post reform to Alexius III.

It is a rare coin because it was one of the first coins of the new denomination Alexius I Comnenus created. Electrum Aspron Trachy. I always figured the coins of Alexius were rarer because the following rulers recycled them. The Electrum trachea (Mix of gold a silver) of Alexius I started at 7 carats, his son John II down to 5 carats and Manuel around the same at 5 carats, As the century continued the gold content dropped to 2.5 carats and ending at Alexius III down to very little or no gold at all. You can see this visually in many examples of the denomination from a very gold coin to a very silvery coin.

The coin was the second highest denomination, 3 of these were equal to a Hyperpyron.

My example was graded as choice Fine with a flan crack, It weighs 4.3gm and 30.07 mm It also has full legends.

SBCV-1915
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity