Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Test Cuts on Ancient Coins  (Read 599 times)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Test Cuts on Ancient Coins
« on: May 24, 2022, 08:31:24 pm »
Not exactly sure where to put this, but this question may transcend the various coin categories, although this is a Greek coin and most test cuts I have seen are on Greek silver coins. So...

I recently acquired this coin at what I consider a good price. I have seen these go for way more and the difference seems to be the absence of a test cut. This is one of or perhaps my favorite coin to date. Condition is excellent, with the exception of the test cut. In this coin's case, the test cut doesn't detract at all. In fact, I have a few others with test cuts and I like them because it tells me the coin was actually used in commerce, at least in some way. Anyway, I love this coin and am super happy I got it for the price I could afford.

My question is what is the general thought on coins with test cuts? Does it always lower today's prices? Does it even matter? Maybe I got lucky, maybe I got a less desirable coin. I don't know. I love it, so no complaints either way.

PAPHLAGONIA, Sinope. Circa 350/30-300 BC. AR Drachm (17mm, 4.80 g, 8h). Theoti–, magistrate. Head of nymph left, hair in sakkos; aphlaston to left / Sea eagle on dolphin left; ΘEO[TI] above tail feathers. RG 24; HGC 7, 391; SNG BN 482. Test cut, flan crack, scratches, scrapes. VF.

Thanks,
Virgil

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Re: Test Cuts on Ancient Coins
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2022, 08:56:10 pm »
Generally speaking, a test cut will reduce value versus a similarly preserved specimen without a test cut. This offers opportunity if you can find a coin where the test cut is in an unobtrusive location. 

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2022, 09:24:12 pm »
Thank you, that seems to be my experience. I guess it is good I don't mind test cuts and in many cases I actually like them, as with this coin, although some cuts were made with no consideration to collectors 2000 plus years later. LOL.

Virgil

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2022, 09:42:26 pm »
That's a great looking coin Virgil.  I don't mind test cuts, especially when they don't obliterate the details.  I got this one for far less than if it didn't have a cut.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2022, 09:46:43 pm »
That one is a beauty and I agree, the test cut doesn't detract. In many ways, it makes a coin more interesting.

Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity