Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Roman Provincial Coins Discussion Forum

Septimius Severus Caesarea Cappadocia - my first Type, need help

<< < (2/2)

helvetica:
According to the Ganschow etc. catalog, the weight and size of your coin makes it a drachm. Tridrachms are 25 mm, 8-9 g. No didrachms are listed for this reverse type for year 17. With the legends, date and type of your coin it is

Ganschow 444c; Paris 544; SNG Tübingen 4680; Henseler coll. 792.
The Henseler coin is 18 mm, 2.95 g.

The Paris coin (not as nice as yours) is here:
https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8502904p.r=Cappadoce%20Atelier544%20544?rk=21459;2

I hope it is ok that I prepare your coin for wildwinds. There are similar ones on wildwinds, - one with CEPTI in the obverse legend and one with MHTR KAICAR.

Timestheus:

--- Quote from: helvetica on May 24, 2022, 08:31:31 am ---According to the Ganschow etc. catalog, the weight and size of your coin makes it a drachm. Tridrachms are 25 mm, 8-9 g. No didrachms are listed for this reverse type for year 17. With the legends, date and type of your coin it is

--- End quote ---
Thank you for the confirmation.

--- Quote from: helvetica on May 24, 2022, 08:31:31 am ---According to the Ganschow etc. catalog, the weight and size of your coin makes it a drachm. Tridrachms are 25 mm, 8-9 g. No didrachms are listed for this reverse type for year 17. With the legends, date and type of your coin it is

--- End quote ---
Yes, I have find an interesting free PDF:
William E. Metcalf - Notes on the Coinage of Severan Caesarea
https://www.academia.edu/7336536/Metcalf_Notes_on_the_Coinage_of_Severan_Caesarea

He also has a good table with dates, weights, legends etc. and the denominations. Great, then I'm on the safe side. Thanks.

--- Quote from: helvetica on May 24, 2022, 08:31:31 am ---I hope it is ok that I prepare your coin for wildwinds. There are similar ones on wildwinds, - one with CEPTI in the obverse legend and one with MHTR KAICAR.

--- End quote ---
Of course, with pleasure, I feel honored for my coin :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version