Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Roman Provincial Coins Discussion Forum

Septimius Severus Caesarea Cappadocia - my first Type, need help

(1/2) > >>

Timestheus:
Hello dear forum, this is my first coin from Caesarea, Cappadocia and therefore I still have some difficulties to determine this one for sure. Especially since I know very little about the mintings so far. I would be very pleased about your help and thank you very much in advance.

The Mount Argaeus shown on the reverse is known to me in the meantime - there is a very informative PDF publication about it at Academica.

Unfortunately, when I bought this coin, I only have the following information: Septimius Severus (oh what), 193-211 AD, Caesarea, Cappadocia, weight 2.9g and diameter 18mm.

1. in some dealers I read that this is a diadrachm, other dealers write something about a tridrachm to this type. Who is right now?

2. unfortunately I have no print literature and can not find this exact type. Does anyone have a reference for me on SNG, RPC or something else?

3. the inscription on the obverse should read like this - is this correct?
AY KAI Λ CЄΠ CЄOYHPOC
= AV KAI L SEP SEPHROS
= Imperator Caesar Lucius Septimius Severus

4. the inscription on the back should read like this - is this correct?
MHTPO KAICAP NЄΩ
= METRO KAISAR ??? (NЄΩ]
= (the) Metropolitans (of) Caesarea ??? (NЄΩ)

Ok, I still don't understand the abbreviation to NЄΩ.

5. the inscription ЄTIZ is the time / date / year. But I have not found any comparison coin with ЄTIZ. What translation is ЄTIZ and what year is this?

I know this from my Electron Stater from Bosporos: https://roma-aeterna.de/roemische-kaiserzeit/m0110_pantikapaion_gold_stater_lucius_septimius_severus_pertinax/

Here I have the time ΓqV.
Γ = gamma = 3
q = Koppa = 90
V = Ypsilon = 400
Gamma (3) + Koppa (90) + Ypsilon (400) = 493
Dated year 493 of the Bosporan era = 196/197 AD.

But how did they calculate in Cappadocia?

Thanks already for any help!

Jochen:
Hi!

Caesarea in Cappadocia has calculated in regnal years. ETIZ = ETOVC IZ = year 10+7 = 17th regnal year of Septimius Severus.

Jochen

Timestheus:
Hello Jochen ;)

aaahhhhh! Thanks!

ETOVC = year
I = Iota = 10
Z = Zeta = 7
year 10 + 7
year 17 = 209 AD

Great. Thats fine.

---
So the only mystery for me is the NЄΩ on the reverse :D
And what kind of Drachme it is.

Jochen:
NEO is short for NEOKORIA (German Neokorie). And that was the honor to have 1 temple for the imperial cult.

Neokoros = Temple keeper, a high honorary office.

Jochen

Timestheus:

--- Quote from: Jochen on May 13, 2022, 02:46:35 pm ---NEO is short for NEOKORIA (German Neokorie). And that is the honor to have 1 temple for the imperial cult.

Jochen

--- End quote ---

Ah i think remember... you told me a similar example last months for 3 temples or so.
Ok... thanks for helping Jochen!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version