Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: LAMPSAKOS BRONZE PEGASOS SPRINGING RIGHT ... but When ?  (Read 616 times)

Offline Montmercure

• Praetorian
LAMPSAKOS BRONZE PEGASOS SPRINGING RIGHT ... but When ?
« on: May 06, 2022, 02:50:19 pm »
Hello fellow numismatists!

I had recently the oportunity to acquire the coin below

It comes from Lampsakos and bears the famous Forepart of Pegasos springing right, but unfortunately is not gold but simply bronze :-(.

Nevertheless, it fits into my theme of collection (mercury, hermes, caduceus, ...)

While researching about this coin, I did not find much literature and little references, but enough however to lead to a dilemma:

- part of the references indicate fourth and third century bc (BMC GRECE MYSIA n°62 and 63)

- and the other part of 190 – 85 bc (Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum France 5. Mysie SNG BN 1257 – 1258)

- Baldwin as for her, does not describe it but reproduces it on a plate entitled FOURTH TO SECOND CENTURY B. C (Lampsakos, pl. IX, 17), thus biting into the two periods previously proposed!

Do you have any ideas or elements to allow me to decide between these three periods?

Thanks by advance for your contribution
François

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: LAMPSAKOS BRONZE PEGASOS SPRINGING RIGHT ... but When ?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2022, 07:50:55 am »
We just do not have exact dating on most Greek coins.  Numismatists make estimates, and it is not unusual for these estimates to vary.  Style, similar issues from other mints, sequence of issues all play a role in forming estimates, but none provide exact dates.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity