Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Roman Provincial Coins Discussion Forum

Problems with a legend from Maionia

<< < (3/3)

helvetica:
Hahaha... when I was preparing GRPC I always tried to add as many references to each entry as I could. I personally find it frustrating when a book only cites ONE reference, and even more frustrating when it is a book I don't have. "Gentleman's Magazine" often listed some pretty interesting coins which turned out to be correct in every detail. PC-ers* today would demand the publication be renamed "Gentleperson's Magazine".
I didn't have any decent photos of this particular coin at the time - the books' files were at the printers for nearly a year before they were actually printed and despite my sending numerous "nicer pics" and corrections, the printers just didn't use them, which is maddening.

The female figure on these, if it's not Ariane (Ariadne), then it is usually described as a Maenad, sometimes dancing.
So I will add these corrections to the list for the supplement.

*Political Correctness freaks.

helvetica:
By the way, I am sure the obv legend has KAI and not K M, which would be extremely unusual for Sept. Severus. In fact, looking through the legends on the ww Sept Severus page, I would say that the old entry of a coin of Nikopolis (from before my time) given as having "K M" needs to be corrected to KAI. You can see the crossbar on the A in your second image.

Jochen:
Of course you are right about AV.KAI.L. CEP. It cannot be AV.K.M.L.CEP because there is no M in the name of Septimius Severus. And one can see rhe dots before and behind KAI. I will correct it.

Thanks
Jochen

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version