Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Greek Coins Discussion Forum

Thompson vs My Demeter & Artemis

<< < (4/4)

Kevin D:
Better images lead me to believe the same obverse die. I agree with previous posters: the reverse is from a different die.

cicerokid:
Thanks, Obv 1 rev 2 The OBV diue most likely, if at all, worked on in contemporary times

john

Kevin D:
John,
I added a better image of the BMC 437 = Thompson 1227 coin to my post above (for ease of side by side comparison). And with it, I need to retract my thought on a possibly reworked die. I don't see signs of reworking now, just the vagaries of a different strike on two coins from the same die. My eyes are old as well, and I wasn't comfortable giving an opinion until now, even though I saw this thread some days ago.

Kevin D:
Here is a higher resolution image for the Thompson 1227 Leningrad coin (SV 73x15). I believe this confirms the reverse die match to John's coin. I don't see an obverse die match; it might be a match, but I can't see it from this image.

The Stack's Bowers auction catalog for the Salton Collection Part I mentions the possibility of that Lot (now John's coin) being the Thompson 1227 Commerce 1955 coin. The weights of the two coins are listed as being the same. It would be nice to find an image of the Thompson 1227 Commerce 1955 coin, if one exists.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version