Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help ID openwork mounts  (Read 645 times)

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
Help ID openwork mounts
« on: January 07, 2022, 10:44:21 am »
The first mount weighs: 12.93g and measures: 29x38mm. From what I found it's either a strap end or a mount for cavalry dating late 2nd century -throughout third.
As for the second weighs: 15.20g and measures: 30x39mm. Havn't been able to find a match, seems to have an anchor design. I suspect this to be of the same age and aswell attributed to cavalry.

Thanks  :)

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Help ID openwork mounts
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 05:03:13 pm »
Yes, the first is definitely for a strap end.  You can see the lateral rim.  If it was wide than 29 mm it might have been a baldric strap end but at this width likely for horse harness.

I agree the second is the same age, though it could be for a belt as well as horse harness.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity