Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Ancient Coin Forum

Price Increases Real or Illusion?

<< < (7/8) > >>

JamesC11:
The MOU appears to be having some effect of constricting availability of material, which means higher prices.  Today Forum offers seven items under the Ptolemaic category.  Ten years ago there were ten times as many offered in the same niche.  In 1941 Edward T. Newell could describe Standard Ptolemaic Silver as among the commonest of available ancient precious metal types;  now even very ordinary examples command two hundred dollars and more on the market.  And much of the remaining material is coming to us by way of "Canadians (no offense, eh?)" Granted, Egyptian coinage was intended to circulate only within Egypt and her empire.  But, as Joe suggests, currency are currency, and even Egyptians gotta eat.

Simon:
All collectables went up in the last two years especially, people had time at home with covid. I work in the art industry, prices went way up on masters, prints have gone up 100% and more, It is an interesting time. The most expensive Picasso print ever sold last month, the new record price after fees is 8 million usd.
The nice part for all of the collectable markets is we will have collectors and new people to talk coins with.

Virgil H:
Simon,
That is very interesting, thanks for your comments. Do you think that a lot of new collectors have entered the hobby in the past couple of years or is it increased activity from existing collectors? Or maybe both.

Thanks,
Virgil

Simon:

Virgil,

I think with people trapped in there homes, new work ethics and new sets of life priortys have given us a new set of collectors, people with time on their hands can suddenly do the things they wanted to do. Ancient coin collecting became one of the set of  new hobbies.

Covid also changed things, not all in a bad way, more time at home,  more time with family and for some more time on their hands for hobbies in general.

This is alresdy changing, my job has me traveling more than before the pandemic. The rest of my year is nonstop. I am on a ship right now, next week we return to Istanbul. I am looking forward to that.

Simon

Ron C2:
In my view. The number of active collectors certainly grew over the 2 years of COVID 19. When people get busy, sometimes hobbies take a back seat, but coin collecting requires the hobbyist to invest significant money into assets. Psychologically it's hard for people to just walk away from something they put money into. Some people may move on to a degree, but I think most will remain at least somewhat engaged in the hobby as life returns to normal.

Pre pandemic it was not unusual for each of us to have our coin collecting interest wax and wane, without disappearing completely.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version