Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Countermark of 2 heads on obv.  (Read 569 times)

Offline laney

• Caesar
Countermark of 2 heads on obv.
« on: November 30, 2021, 11:26:35 am »
AE19.5 mm, 6.36 g

The obv. is a right-facing head or bust, with countermarks of right-facing heads to the lower left and right, which might be the same one applied twice.  They look like images of young males.  The reverse is one of those optical tricky things that can look like a some head or another depending on how the coin is rotated.  I'm hoping  most for the id of the emperor and secondly for the id of the reverse.  The exact attribution of the cm would be great, but it's at the bottom of the wish list.  Thanks much.

Laney

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Countermark of 2 heads on obv.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2021, 03:43:43 am »
These countermarks on a coin from Odessos are similar, especially the right countermark. I am not sure of course.

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=311565

Offline laney

• Caesar
Re: Countermark of 2 heads on obv.
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2021, 12:35:54 pm »
Belated thanks shanxi.
Laney

All coins are guaranteed for eternity