Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Uncleaned Ancient Coin Discussion Forum

Coin cleaning microscope

(1/2) > >>

Nikola L:
Hi, I'm planning to buy stereo microscope for coin cleaning. I'm interested in AmScope SE400-Z 10x and 20x magnification. It has a great working distance and I've seen other use it for soldering. Did anyone use it or does anyone know is it good for coin cleaning?

SC:
It should be good.

I use a Konus 5031 with 20x.

If I bought a new one it would be one with a 45 degree angle like the AmScope SE400-Z and not a neck-abusing 90 degree angle like mine.

SC

Virgil H:
I have a 10x and 20x microscope and I like it. But the magnification is too high at times. I often wish I had bought something that did 5X and I almost never use the 20X. High magnification, for me, makes some things impossible to see, strange as that may seem. Maybe I just don't know how to use it properly.

Virgil

SC:
Yes, a 5x to 20x would be ideal.  But I have magnifying-glass stands or a magnifying head-band for the lower end stuff.

I find the 20x is good for the fine scalpel work I want it for.

SC

Virgil H:
Yeah, I use a magnifying glass and my wife's sewing ring light magnifier more than the scope. But, the scope can be super helpful at times.

Virgil

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version