Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Antinous COTD  (Read 1115 times)

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
Antinous COTD
« on: September 28, 2021, 10:24:15 pm »
My latest from FORUM. I normally don't collect tesserae, but this one was too good to pass up. My only coin for Antinous is a miniscule specimen, and this tessera has a rather nice portrait.

The Forum description:

Lead tessera, apparently unpublished, Dattari-Savio -, Geissen -, Milne -, Emmett -, Blum -, SNG Cop -, SNG Milan -, gF, gray-brown patina with highlighting earthen deposits, reverse off center, Antinoopolis(?) mint, weight 4.994g, maximum diameter 23.8mm, die axis 180o, c. 130 - 153 A.D.; obverse draped bust of Antinous right, wearing hem-hem crown of Harpocrates, large crescent before with horns left; reverse Nilus reclining right on sphinx, reed in his left hand curling up behind his shoulder and head, cornucopia before him in left hand; Euthenia on right, standing left, crowning Nilus with a wreath; ex Classical Numismatic Group e-auction 476 (9 Sep 2020), lot 287; ex BLS Collection; extremely rare, perhaps unique, this is the only specimen of this type known to FORVM.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Antinous COTD
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 10:32:18 pm »
Nice piece.  Congrats

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 09:54:02 am »
very nice indeed
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Online mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 11:26:50 am »
Hi.

Nice example. Your tessera is type 13 in Tokens of Antinous from the Roman Province of Egypt by Denise Wilding. The article appears in Tokens: Culture, Connections, Communities, C Rowan (ed),  Royal Numismatic Society Special Publication 57, 2019

The entire book can be downloaded legally free from the Royal Numismatic Society website. Go to numismatics.org.uk and make your way to the publication page or use the link below:

https://numismatics.org.uk/society-publications-2/special-publications-and-coin-hoards/

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 08:50:37 pm »
Thank you very much indeed for the additional info and the link. This sharing on the boards is great for relative neophytes like me.
Best,
Larry

Offline Kim B. N

• Caesar
  • Omnium rerum principia parva sunt
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2021, 02:51:44 pm »
That desert patina:o Oh boy.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity