Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Seal of George Archon? 7th/8th Century? 27.5 mm 25.48g.  (Read 451 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Seal of George Archon? 7th/8th Century? 27.5 mm 25.48g.
« on: September 24, 2021, 12:57:46 pm »
I recently received this interesting seal.  It measures 27.5 mm and weighs 25.48g. 
On the obverse is, within a decorated ring, :  :<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=cross' target='_blank'>cross</a>: Θεοτόκε βοήθι  :<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=cross' target='_blank'>cross</a>:
On the reverse is, within a decorated ring, :

:<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=cross' target='_blank'>cross</a>:
   :Greek_Gamma:  :Greek_epsilon:  :Greek_omega_small:  :Greek_Rho:
 :Greek_Gamma: :Greek_Iota: :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Upsilon_2: :A3:  :Greek_Rho:
 :Greek_Chi:  :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Nu: :Greek_Tau:
 :Csquare:   

I believe that it reads “Mother of God, help George, Archon” and dates to the late 7th Century.  Am I correct in my reading?

Did the title “archon” denote a provincial governor at this time?  I have also read that it may denote a ruler, such as used by the Bulgarian kings,or a position in the church

Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity