Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Where To Begin With Identification  (Read 1092 times)

Greg W

Where To Begin With Identification
« on: August 04, 2021, 06:57:27 am »
I am new to this forum and a complete beginner at collecting Roman coins. I live in the UK and to get started I have purchased some unidentified and some uncleaned low grade coins. I purchased the low grade uncleaned coins to give some practise at coin cleaning and I purchased the unidentified coins, in all honesty, because they looked nice and were inexpensive. Something a lot of beginners do I suppose.

Now having got these coins I want to identify them but do not know where to begin. I have had a look around this site for some help but being a newbie I not sure were to look. Please can anyone give me some help with regards to were to look on this site, an identification publication or an identification website that would help me.

Regards

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Where To Begin With Identification
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2021, 07:03:21 am »
It depends a lot on your coins: Greek? Roman? Roman Provincial?

Here are some valuable links:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=32513.0

Greg W

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2021, 07:27:33 am »
Thank you for your reply.

Although I did say in my posting that I am just starting to collect Roman coins you ask if the coins I have got are Roman or Roman Provincial. I have no idea. I am a complete beginner. That is why I am asking for help. But thank you for the links anyway.

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 07:32:24 am »
Thank you for your reply.

Although I did say in my posting that I am just starting to collect Roman coins you ask if the coins I have got are Roman or Roman Provincial. I have no idea. I am a complete beginner. That is why I am asking for help. But thank you for the links anyway.

Generally speaking, provincials will have Greek legends, while imperial wil have Latin.

If you have imperial coins, most people start with the appropriate RIC volume. There areany other options also, like BMCRE, Roman Silver Coins, the handbook of Roman Imperial Coins, various catalogue and hoard references, etc. 

My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Greg W

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2021, 08:02:54 am »
Thank you Ron. I see I have a lot to learn!

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2021, 08:21:08 am »

Greg W

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 08:23:08 am »
Thank you Pekka

All coins are guaranteed for eternity