Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Cleaning crusty zinc coins  (Read 700 times)

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Cleaning crusty zinc coins
« on: April 03, 2021, 12:23:36 pm »
Anyone have any experience in cleaning zinc coins?

I have searched the forum but have't found any old messages.

I am looking at ways to clean 17th-18th century Vietnamese zinc cash.  These are coins were made of almost pure zinc, not a Zn-Cu alloy.

They often have a thick beige/tan coating on part or all of their surface that looks just like hardened clay but is much harder.  I believe that it must be some sort of mineralized adhesion.  

Given that zinc is very soft it makes mechanical cleaning perilous - the adhesions are harder than the base metal.

SC

PS  I have found lots of advice for cleaning "modern" zinc coins which have small deposits of small bits of powdery white "zinc-disease" on them.  What I am looking for is different - cleaning tough thick crusts of zinc.
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity