Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Eye of Horus amulet  (Read 1590 times)

a

Eye of Horus amulet
« on: March 28, 2021, 08:09:40 am »
Hello,

Please help with identification of this blue Eye of Horus amulet.
The size is about 13mm. Seems like the material is turquoise.

When it was made?

Regards,
Explorer

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Eye of Horus amulet
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 11:38:40 am »
The material is faience, an Egyptian ceramic made from quartz dust and given a blue glaze.

That is what 99% of the light blue Egyptian items are.  It was made in imitation of turquoise.  Turquoise was restricted to royals and extremely important people while the lesser officials could afford faience.

I will leave details on the repentant for the true experts.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

a

Re: Eye of Horus amulet
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 06:11:49 am »
Thank you for this input. So, it is the difference between handcrafted product and mass production. I assume this one is indeed faience product.
On the web, I see almost similar amulets found in archeological context. They are dated between 800 to 600BCE.
Explorer

All coins are guaranteed for eternity