Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Need help identifying roman belt mount  (Read 1132 times)

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
Need help identifying roman belt mount
« on: January 26, 2021, 11:04:49 am »
Hello all,

Can anyone give me a dating on this roman belt mount? What I found is that it's maybe a cruciform baldric mount making it 2nd century.

Thanks!

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Need help identifying roman belt mount
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 07:06:35 pm »
Not a type I am familiar with.  And the gilding (?) is odd.

Perhaps a local or Germanic type?

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 05:03:22 pm »
Not a type I am familiar with.  And the gilding (?) is odd.

Perhaps a local or Germanic type?

SC

Hey Otlichnik,

Thank you for your input. The gilding is throwing me off a little too. It was part of a lot with this other what i'm almost sure of is a roman belt mount from 2-3rd century AD (also partially gilded I think), if that's the case that they both are gilded they must have been part of the same belt? The closest I've come at finding something similar is the cruciform baldric mount, this might be an adoptation or a provincial variant. I'm not sure how common gilding was but if you can tell me more about that other mount i'd appreciate it alot. You seem to have great knowledge on these topics and i'm always looking to learn more. Also do you happen to know a great source/book to learn more about roman belt mounts as i'm looking to start a collection.

Greetings Kilian

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 05:47:48 pm »
Roman military items were usually silvered (actually probably tinned) and not gilded, at least until the 5th century.

The piece with the hanger-loop is definitely Roman.  I have not seen an exact match for the upper part - though it matches other Roman items - but the bulge and the loop are found on many hangers.

How is your Serbo-Croatian?  PM me and I can send you a related PDF.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 06:24:47 pm »
Roman military items were usually silvered (actually probably tinned) and not gilded, at least until the 5th century.

The piece with the hanger-loop is definitely Roman.  I have not seen an exact match for the upper part - though it matches other Roman items - but the bulge and the loop are found on many hangers.

How is your Serbo-Croatian?  PM me and I can send you a related PDF.

SC

That'd be awesome, I've send you a private message, hope it arrived.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity