Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman Ring with Asclepius on Gold Intaglio, ca. 1st-3rd Cent  (Read 1377 times)

Offline Mayadigger

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
Ave!

Just sharing for your elucidation...

Silver alloy; 2.3gm, Ring size 11, Gold Bezel; 7mm

Asclepius was the Greek and Roman God of Medicine and Healing. As seen on the bezel, he is depicted wearing a simple himation robe, and holds a staff (the bakteria) with a sacred snake coiled around it.

Every picture tells a story and the same can be said for rings...but the interpretation of them can be rather moot.

Who wore this ring is open to conjecture; a doctor or a patient seeking the God's healing powers? Sadly, we will never know. Just another example of history's mystery's.

FYI - The band on ring upon arrival was severely bent and twisted and far beyond my ability for conservation. I sent it to David Roeder to work his magic for me.

Nice, huh?

Best to all,

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

All coins are guaranteed for eternity