Resources > The Members' Gallery

Anaximander's Gallery

<< < (24/27) > >>

Anaximander:
Two Cilician coins added to my Asia Minor gallery:

* 1. |Soloi. 410-375 B.C. AR stater. (10.67 gm, 19 mm). Amazon (Antiope?), wearing pointed headdress, nude to the waist and kneeling l., stringing her bow, with drapery & gorytos (bow-case) at her waist. / Bunch of grapes on vine; ankh to lower right (partially off flan); ΣΟΛΕΩΝ - Θ.  Large test cut on ℞. Blindado a stater one in his collection (with a few notes on the coin, the city, and the Amazons); as do shanxi and Jay A2.  J.B. has a hemi-obol (!).

* 2. |Kelenderis. 410-375 B.C. AR stater. (10.68 gm, 20 mm). This one is a classic and, yes, generally quite common. A youth dismounting from horse rearing r.  Less common: large plume on horse's head. / Goat kneeling right, head left; KEΛE-[N] above. The 'Best of Type' is noneother than FAC's own Joe Sermarini, while Jason T has a really exemplary one with some concise notes.

Anaximander:
I've added three coins of Macedonian kings to my Macedon gallery...

|Perdikkas II. 451-413 BC. Tetrobol of Aigai? heavy Thraco-Macedon stdd. Mounted horseman wearing petasos, with two spears on horse walking r. / Forepart of lion in incuse square.  Two things drew me to this coin: the obverse variety with the horse walking (so I now have one of each, horse prancing and walking), and the unusually good strike of the lion on the reverse (for the type) with little of the usual flatness.

|Philip II. 359-336 BC. Tetradrachm of Amphipolis. Laureate head of Zeus r. / Philip on horseback l., wearing kausia & chlamys, raising hand. ΦIΛIΠ-ΠOY, M below raised foreleg.  Large test-cut on the reverse.  My early acquisitions of Philip II turned out to be posthumous or imitative, so here we have a lifetime issue. 

|Alexander III. 336-323 BC. Drachm of Miletos, struck under Philoxenos, 325-323 BC. Head of Herakles clad in lion skin headdress, r. / Zeus Aëtophoros enthroned l., holding sceptre and eagle. ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΥ, ΔH monogram in l. field.  A common-enough type, for a lifetime issue.

Virgil H:
Nice additions.

Virgil

Anaximander:
Thanks, Virgil.  Not sure I can top that today, but I'll share my latest Roman gallery additions:

Three Antoniniani of Rome, 248-249 AD: Ludi Saeculares (Secular Games), commemorating the 1000th anniversary of Rome, from Philip I and Philip II.  Celebrated every hundred years! The reverse legend SAECULARES AVGG = 'Saeculares Augustorum' |lion, |elephant, and a "|goat" that could really be an elk (aka moose).  Not the best examples, but serviceable.  You can follow the links above, or head on over to my Roman gallery for the period, Military Anarchy & Revival, 235-285 AD.

Lastly: here is an Advent coin of Trajan Decius. Adventvs Augustorum is the arrival of the emperor to a city. This antoninianus has a nice portrait and some lovely toning.

Post scriptum: Here is a much-awaited denarius of Hadrian with a galley reverse.

Virgil H:
Those are all beautiful.

Virgil

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version