Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: I need to identify  (Read 587 times)

Salma E

I need to identify
« on: February 26, 2019, 02:41:38 am »
I need to identify those coins, I don't know which era in Egypt

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: I need to identify
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 03:45:30 am »
Your coin depicts Alexander the Great as Herkles, and the reverse is Zeus enthroned. These were minted all over the ancient world for a period of nearly 300 years.
You need to provide the size and weight, as well as a better picture to get a more specific attribution or to verify authenticity.

- Peter

Salma E

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 03:57:40 am »
Sorry I don't have a scale

Salma E

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 04:13:36 am »
Your coin depicts Alexander the Great as Herkles, and the reverse is Zeus enthroned. These were minted all over the ancient world for a period of nearly 300 years.
You need to provide the size and weight, as well as a better picture to get a more specific attribution or to verify authenticity.

- Peter

Is it silver?

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 05:05:57 am »
The original tetradrachms are made of silver. Unfortunately your coin looks like a modern cast replica. These were often made from cheaper white metals.

For comparison, a real example with similar features (uncrossed legs and M below the chair):

http://numismatics.org/collection/1944.100.26441

Compare the overall sharpness, the sharpness of details in areas without much wear and the surfaces.

Salma E

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 06:00:56 am »
The original tetradrachms are made of silver. Unfortunately your coin looks like a modern cast replica. These were often made from cheaper white metals.

For comparison, a real example with similar features (uncrossed legs and M below the chair):

http://numismatics.org/collection/1944.100.26441

Compare the overall sharpness, the sharpness of details in areas without much wear and the surfaces.
you stimulated me to start my masters

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 01:37:19 pm »
Indeed, a modern cast fake.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity