Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: I need help identifying this coin that I inherited from my grandfather  (Read 2360 times)

Aaron A3

I am trying to identify a coin I have inherited from my grandfathers collection. I know nothing about it. Is it real? Where's it from? Era? Worth? Is it collectible? Please help. Thank you.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: I need help identifying this coin that I inherited from my grandfather
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 10:18:31 pm »
It is not genuine.  It is a modern fake with no numismatic value.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Aaron A3

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 10:33:43 pm »
How do you know that it is a fake? I am not asking to be a butt-head, but just to learn.

Also, I don't know if this looks like a tiny coin to others. It weighs about 2 lbs., it is nearly 3" tall, and probably 1/2" to 3/4" thick.

I am not sure if any of that information matters or not. Maybe it is a fake?!?! I do not know. I was wondering if it was even a coin. I'm stumped.

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 10:37:14 pm »
They did not make ancient coins any place close to that huge size. Nor medallions.
PeteB

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 04:12:13 am »
The "coin" is an imitation of an aes grave from the Roman Republic:
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?term=aes+grave+miner+bul
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ahala_rome/8286340042

It is depicted in the book of Häberlin on these aes grave: http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k880368k/f113.image

The original specimens have mostly a weigt between 200 and 300 g, with this they are weighing much less than your imitation.

Regards

Altamura

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 10:58:29 am »
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 02:07:51 pm »
What is the actual weight?  Are you just making a guess when you say 2lbs?

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 04:44:06 pm »
Based on the dimensions described, I doubt the 2lb weight unless its made of plutonium. I note that it appears to have been holed for suspension at some stage (infilled circular depressions at 11h on obv. and 12h on rev.)? - perhaps a replica for very chunky jewelry?
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 05:31:03 pm »
Probably a cast piece made as a paper weight for the tourist trade.

Aaron A3

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 07:46:22 pm »
I don't have a scale to weigh something small, so I'm not sure on the weight. It's a guess. It's just very heavy. As for the size in inches, I measured it, so I know that's right.

I am having a difficult time understanding this. My grandfather was quite the collector, and I got a bunch of coins and money from him that are quite collectible. But from what I'm told here, he had a fake out of all of it? Thats difficult to believe with the stuff he inherited to me, but I don't know anything about the subject.

I'm kind of saddened that I even came to this site for help. It seems that people would rather flag it and disregard someone who would come here for help. I guess I would treat someone differently who came for help than to treat them like they were trying to commit fraud or sell something fake when clearly that's not what I'm trying to do. Some of you tried to help, and I appreciate that. For those who were condescending, maybe you should try to be more kind instead of being jerks.

Thanks anyways.

It's possible it's a fake. I wouldn't know. I just wanted to save it for my son if it had any real history.
What is the actual weight?  Are you just making a guess when you say 2lbs?

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 07:59:41 pm »
I am having a difficult time understanding this. My grandfather was quite the collector, and I got a bunch of coins and money from him that are quite collectible. But from what I'm told here, he had a fake out of all of it? Thats difficult to believe with the stuff he inherited to me, but I don't know anything about the subject.

I doubt that there is a serious collector anywhere that doesn't have a few replica coins, or fakes in his/her collection either by design or accident. Myself, I have several  replicas bought for the simple reason that an authentic coin of the type is way beyond my means, so the replica fills a gap in the collection that would otherwise be an empty space. I know nothing of your grandfather's collection but an authentic coin aes grave of the type would be an expensive item. Perhaps he knowingly bought it to fill a gap in the collection? Alternatively he may have dabbled in a area of numismatics of which he knew little and thought he had acquired a bargain. Who knows? The presence of a few fakes, or replicas among a collection of authentic coins is far from unusual.

Context counts and we know nothing of your grandfather's collecting context. Did he leave collection notes detailing each coin and the collection as a whole? Serious collectors always do this and the notes would provide insight into the how, why and wherefore of this item in the collection. Tell us what sort of collecting focus he had, Greek, Republican Roman, Imperial Roman etc and we would have a better understanding of the context in the collection. If it was just a mish-mash collection without a focus, say everything and anything from ancient to modern, then the inclusions of a fake in the collection is no surprise at all.

All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2017, 09:11:16 am »
Aaron,

Welcome to the hobby.
Please don't let the experience of finding your coin is not authentic turn you off a rewarding hobby.
If you stay here you'll see that everyone is really helpful. Please don't mistake abrupt responses for anything other than people being factual.

Guys,

Please bear in mind that for new people to the hobby, their first posts here may very well be their first interaction on the subject of ancient coins.

If we really want to encourage people to continue pursuing a hobby of collecting ancient coins after being burned with the experience of finding out they have a fake, I think we can do better with our communication by being a little more understanding and welcoming.

Peter

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 09:24:42 am »
I don't think anyone was being even remotely jerk-like.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2017, 09:58:32 am »
In your first question you asked, "Is it real?" You asked. We answered. When someone tells you something you don't want to hear and you call them a jerk, you are metaphorically, shooting the messenger.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Phil A

• Praetorian
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2017, 03:59:50 am »
Aaron,

Welcome to the hobby.
Please don't let the experience of finding your coin is not authentic turn you off a rewarding hobby.
If you stay here you'll see that everyone is really helpful. Please don't mistake abrupt responses for anything other than people being factual.

Guys,

Please bear in mind that for new people to the hobby, their first posts here may very well be their first interaction on the subject of ancient coins.

If we really want to encourage people to continue pursuing a hobby of collecting ancient coins after being burned with the experience of finding out they have a fake, I think we can do better with our communication by being a little more understanding and welcoming.

Peter

With respect, I highly doubt this person came here with the intention of pursuing the hobby or even seeking serious inquiry on his 3' coin.

Phil A

Offline Nikola K

• Praetorian
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2017, 04:52:16 pm »
With respect, I highly doubt this person came here with the intention of pursuing the hobby or even seeking serious inquiry on his 3' coin.

Phil A

What do you think he was hoping to accomplish?

If it was a fraud, he could simply offer it on Ebay and wait for someone to bite. I can send you a link to a site where people are paying 100-200 GBP for obvious fakes (if the site is not faking sales as well...).

He overreacted, but he may be a kid/teen that lost grandfather. It is hard to read the tone from the written message and a new user is not familiar how this forum works (what the Procurator Monetae title is, the rules etc...).

I felt like I'm annoying the experts with basic questions (Wasn't the case, but always let me know if it is), however short replies seem to be a common style. I assume people are busy and there are threads with longer answers, so we should search and do the homework.

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2017, 05:30:34 pm »
Yah, I'm always a bit sad when I hear => "I'm just wondering how much my Grandfather's coin is worth"

... I bet Grand-dad wished he'd left it to somebody else, eh?

;)

Just jokes ... I'm hopeful that you're wanting to dive-in and join your Grandfather's passion, my friend

All coins are guaranteed for eternity