Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Trajan Silver Denarius  (Read 449 times)

Glen M

Trajan Silver Denarius
« on: August 13, 2016, 07:13:28 pm »
Hi all

I found this on ebay and I think its fake however I know little as I very new to the hobby, so I am hoping someone could give me a definitive answer. Thanks.

The eBay description: Trajan (98-117AD), silver denarius, obv: Laureate head right, rev: 'Ceres' seated left, holding branch on throne made of cornucopiae, 18mm, 3.52g, NVF/GF.

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
Re: Trajan Silver Denarius
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 07:19:17 pm »
The coin is ok.
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Trajan Silver Denarius
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 08:02:49 pm »
Except that we DO NOT authenticate coins here. It is impossible to be certain this coin is not a cast fake. Some cast fakes are nearly impossible to detect even in hand.  Some cast fakes are not identified until duplicates are found and make it clear that they are cast.

Matt should not have said, "The coin is ok." He should have said, "I don't see any reason to suspect it is fake" or something similar.

The coin is probably genuine but if you are considering purchasing it, you should not buy it.

The most important rule for buying ancient coins is - know the coin, or know the seller, or do not buy. You must either know the coin is genuine based on your own knowledge of coins, or know you can rely on the seller's honesty and expertise to know the coin is genuine. You should not buy based on other people's opinions of photographs. We want to help you be a smart collector. Don't ask us to help you be not smart.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity