Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: :Greek_Nu: :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Upsilon: - ID  (Read 1693 times)

JOHN S11

:Greek_Nu: :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Upsilon: - ID
« on: May 24, 2016, 05:39:32 pm »
My apologies but either my eyes are terrible or I simply can't understand the text on this coin. I don't know who the depiction is of on the front. I assume the reverse side is of Zeus. The dots within the text are quite confusing but alas, this is the first time I've ever tried to read Greek and it isn't working out well. The subject line is all I could make out of the last three letters in the top row. But even at that, I may be wrong.

Background... I'm not a collector. I found this in a pile of change about two years ago and have kept it in a drawer. No clue where it could have come from. I'd simply like to know what I have here, if it is anything at all. I've stared at this coin for days now and tried to research it but again, I don't even know where to begin.

Any help is much appreciated. Even just something to get me going down the general direction.

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: :Greek_Nu: :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Upsilon: - ID
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 05:50:11 pm »
This is a cast copy (modern fake) of a Seleukid silver coin.

I think I see ΕΠΙΦΑΝΟΥΣ and maybe ΦΙΛ.....to left of Zeus, so presumably Antiochus VIII.

JOHN S11

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 05:54:54 pm »
Excellent! Like I said, don't know anything so I wanted to ask before I chucked it back in the drawer. Thanks so much for the reply!

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 02:31:31 am »

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.