Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Claudius Æ - Is it an As or am I an Ass?  (Read 468 times)

Offline Steve L2

• Legionary
Claudius Æ - Is it an As or am I an Ass?
« on: March 04, 2016, 03:28:47 pm »
Guys, first of all, great forum, I can't tell you how much I've learned from here, so many thanks for that.

My first post:
I've been collecting Roman coins for years, and at 57 years old I've bought a few turkeys in my time, to the extent that I pride myself that I can spot one fairly quickly. But this one is driving me potty.

I've identified it as :Claudius. 41-54 AD. Æ As. TI CLAVDIVS CAESAR. AVG. P. M. TR. P. IMP. P. P, bare head left LIBERTAS AVGVSTA, S-C across field, Libertas standing facing, head right, holding pileus in right hand and extending left hand. RIC I 113.

So  far so good. The weight is 10.7 grammes, so that seems to be about right, and I cant see any casting occlusions and there is no ridge to suggest that it is cast BUT - and this is where you'll call me a silly old fool- it just doesn't feel right. I bought it from an e-bay seller with a 100% feedback but I still have my doubts; I'd be grateful for your opinions and I'd love to be proved wrong.

Thanks in advance guys from sunny London

Offline Matt Inglima

• Caesar
  • Quid, me anxius sum?
Re: Claudius Æ - Is it an As or am I an Ass?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 03:33:32 pm »
From everything I can see in your photo, your coin look authentic.  The surfaces, wear and patina all look natural. 

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 03:39:36 pm »
I agree with Matt: looks genuine!
Curtis Clay

Offline Steve L2

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 03:41:19 pm »
Thank you gentlemen, your opinions are much appreciated

Steve

All coins are guaranteed for eternity