Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Flan crack solidus OTD  (Read 764 times)

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
Flan crack solidus OTD
« on: July 30, 2015, 06:47:55 am »
Prices for ancient coins are climbing steeply as part of a world wide asset inflation.

If this solidus did not have a large flan crack I could not have afforded it!

VALENTINIAN III, (A.D. 425-455), gold solidus, Rome mint, (4.50 g), obv. diademed, draped and cuirassed bust to right of Valentinian III, around D N PLA VALENTI NIANVS P F AVG, rev. Emperor Valentinian III standing facing, holding long cross and Victory, with foot on serpent, VICTORI A AVGGG around, R V across, CONOB below, (S.21265, RIC 2010-1, DOC 841-3)

Nice in the hand though, with excellent detail on the reverse.

Steve

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
Re: Flan crack solidus OTD
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 07:44:35 am »
Nice find Steve .. +++

Congratulation.. +++

Regards
 Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 08:13:58 am »
Excellent!

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 06:52:25 am »
Thanks quadrans and Jay. The portrait is typical of the mid 5th century. I know it is not to everyone's taste but to me that haunting mix of classical and early Byzantine styles, reflecting the huge cultural changes that were taking place at the time, is irresistible. 

Best Regards,
Steve

All coins are guaranteed for eternity