Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Need help with countermarks on this spain provincial coin.  (Read 548 times)

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
Need help with countermarks on this spain provincial coin.
« on: June 30, 2021, 08:34:20 pm »
Good day,

Can anyone tell me something more about these 2 countermarks? The boar/pig i've seen referenced as being a legion countermark but it's missing the letters above and can't seem to find. The reverse seems to be an eagle head but i'm unsure.

Thanks

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Need help with countermarks on this spain provincial coin.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 09:01:11 pm »
Hi KO,

The boar isn't necessarily a legion countermark. Without the letters, it is just a boar countermark.

I have a Sicily coin with a boar countermark (first coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/rp_sicily_agri_lily.htm

The boar countermark on my Sicily coin is How. 290.

By the way, your description of the host coin (under-type) is correct. It appears to be a Spain provincial coin issued by Augustus or Tiberius. I have a whole bunch of those types of coins.

Meepzorp

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 08:32:21 am »
Thanks for the reply and insight. You are right that the boar probably isn't a legion countermark but it comes from a region where a legion was stationed and the countermarks they used were that of a boar. These countermarks seems to come from the period of the civil war 68-69 AD. More however I havn't been able to find out  :laugh:

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2021, 08:59:23 am »

RPC 457 lists coin #166275 with same boar c/m as your coin:

https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coin/166275

Pekka K

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2021, 12:59:00 am »

RPC 457 lists coin #166275 with same boar c/m as your coin:

https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coin/166275

Pekka K

Thanks!  +++

All coins are guaranteed for eternity