Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: The Celator magazine  (Read 23654 times)

Offline Vitruvius

• Consul
  • Learn from the past to build our future.
Re: The Celator magazine
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2016, 09:46:52 pm »
Hi Andrew,

While I respect your opinion, I disagree that there isn't a market for said magazine.  I'm not saying there would be a huge amount of subscribers, but nonetheless there's a niche market.  I understand Celator had two thousand subscribers or so when it suddenly vanished.  I agree there is some content to be found on the internet but I don't see the quality in comparison to well researched articles that appeared regularly in the Celator

Having a Classics background, I agree there is a decent amount of what you refer to as "mid-brow" or "upper" academic journals which appear to be stable and consistent.  To me though, the Celator was always readable, and in my mind kept the hobby alive and reachable for the common collector and not just for high profile collectors and investors.  Many of the scholarly journals can be quite dry and I thought this magazine injected some fun and depth into the hobby that many consider to be just for archaeologists and scholars.

Perhaps the future of a publication like this would be best suited in digital format?

I'd like to take a poll by our fellow members here to see if they'd like to see a similar magazine surface in the near future. 

Online Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2016, 12:39:44 am »
Hi Andrew,

While I respect your opinion, I disagree that there isn't a market for said magazine.  I'm not saying there would be a huge amount of subscribers, but nonetheless there's a niche market.  I understand Celator had two thousand subscribers or so when it suddenly vanished.  I agree there is some content to be found on the internet but I don't see the quality in comparison to well researched articles that appeared regularly in the Celator

Having a Classics background, I agree there is a decent amount of what you refer to as "mid-brow" or "upper" academic journals which appear to be stable and consistent.  To me though, the Celator was always readable, and in my mind kept the hobby alive and reachable for the common collector and not just for high profile collectors and investors.  Many of the scholarly journals can be quite dry and I thought this magazine injected some fun and depth into the hobby that many consider to be just for archaeologists and scholars.

Perhaps the future of a publication like this would be best suited in digital format?

I'd like to take a poll by our fellow members here to see if they'd like to see a similar magazine surface in the near future. 

I would love to see it or similar surface. Coin world and numismatist don't cut it. They're ok but I liked all ancient coverage better
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2016, 12:41:06 am »

in print i definitely would.
digital? i wouldn't bother.

~ Peter

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2016, 07:01:54 am »

in print i definitely would.
digital? i wouldn't bother.

~ Peter

Me too.

You have to remember that the type of people that subscribe are the type of people that usually prefer print to digital.  Especially since they are collectors, so they like "things".

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2016, 07:37:26 am »

I have no doubt, our members would say they want it. But it does not matter. Nobody is going to respond to the poll results - unless they want to work for minimum wage.  That is probably why nobody took over the Celator when it closed.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2016, 09:49:02 am »

I have no doubt, our members would say they want it. But it does not matter. Nobody is going to respond to the poll results - unless they want to work for minimum wage.  That is probably why nobody took over the Celator when it closed.

I approached Kerry about buying it when it was imploding, but he wasn't interested. 

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2016, 10:11:52 am »
Quote from: carthago on March 03, 2016, 09:49:02 am
I approached Kerry about buying it when it was imploding, but he wasn't interested. 

I am surprised, both that you would want to take on the challenge, and that he wasn't interested. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Severus_Alexander

• Procurator Monetae
  • Praetorian
  • Hail Hail Severus Alexander!!
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2021, 06:35:12 pm »
Hello All,

I know this is an old topic but just curious how others feel about Kerry Wetterstrom receiving the ANA's Farran Zerbe Memorial Award for Distinguished Service.   I appreciate that Kerry has done an amazing amount of work in the world of ancient coins and running the Celator for 13 years was a great accomplishment but how he handled the closing of the Celator still bothers me and leaves a mark on his record.   Like many I was a long time subscriber to the Celator and loved it.   Just before Kerry announced the closing of the magazine I renewed for two more years.  I never heard a single word directly from Kerry, his brother, etc. on the ending of the magazine or what they planned to do with the money from subscriptions.  It wasn't a lot of money but Kerry when he was finally able to resume work have, and in my opinion should have, reached out to subscribers to come to some resolution to close out the business. 

I read the August 2021 ANA's Numismatist:  'However, with the advent of the Internet came the downfall of The Celator.  "I thoroughly enjoyed editing it," Wetterstrom explains, "but as a one-person person operation, I decided I didn't have the energy and knowledge to take it online."  He bid adieu to his labor of love in 2012, and the following year, he returned to CNG as a senior numismatist, a position he still holds today.'

I'm sensitive on this topic as I went through long and tough battle with cancer and over a decade of treatments and follow ups.   During this time no matter how sick I was I didn't let the illness impact my responsibilities towards others.   I still contacted everyone, explained the situation and did all I could to honor my obligations.   Each person is different and I don't know Terry's personal situation, legal concerns, etc. but it sure would have been nice for Kerry to send out a personal email, thank the subscribers, and give guidance on the end of the magazine.  He looked well in the magazine review and maybe he's got time to send out an email.

Thoughts?

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2021, 09:32:35 am »
I also renewed for two years just before the disappearance of The Celator.  I also received no communication and no refund.

I have always been slightly upset about the money.  Generally when you pay for something up front and don't receive it you expect a refund.  The fact none of us got one means we all funded some sort of back debt. The amount lost doesn't harm me but I feel more could have been done to explain it. 

I never received any communication directly and I don't know any of the other people involved. I, probably like most subscribers, had no special way to get information or a refund.

I understand that there was a personal issue/tragedy involved and I had since written it off in my head.

But I must admit that I am a bit irritated to hear that someone engaged in so little follow-up received the annual award for "outstanding, dedicated service to numismatics". 

The way the end of The Celator went down, regardless of the reason behind it, simply did not meet the standard of "outstanding and dedicated service".  It has left a bad taste in many a mouth.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Online Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2021, 09:49:00 am »
I too renewed for 2 years and was wondering why I never got any new issues after 2 months until I came across it was shut down. I was annoyed by the lack of a refund or just some acknowledgment would have been nice.

Not much can be done now. :-\
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2021, 01:18:02 am »
Here is the thing. Everyone these days seems to think digital is the only way to go. I guess I am one of a dying breed. I want print. I know print is expensive, but digital just doesn't cut it for me. I will read things online for sure, but I have never even looked at the digital editions of the few magazines I subscribe to. I never will and I won't read most things that are only digital, with the exception of journal articles I want to read that are available no other way. I will not read digital books except rarely. Every year another magazine bites the dust, it makes me sad. I recall back in pre-internet days there were a lot of quality "zines" out there for special interests. Like the old auction xeroxed sheets and special interest niche zines. I would take those today over anything the Internet offers. I realize that for publishers and sellers, the Internet is easier and cheaper, but I miss the old days. There is some good stuff on the Internet, but it is mostly a cesspool compared to 1999. I predicted in 1997 that capitalism would destroy the Internet and I was right, It is what it is. I also HATE smartphones, so there is that, LOL. I am working on a major project now that involves a book. I will probably lose money, but it isn't going on the Internet. People will pay for a book when they expect something on the Internet to be free or almost nothing. Unless you are one of the tech monopolies that is censoring people, but I am not in that league.

Virgil

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2021, 07:40:17 am »
For what it's worth, despite my embracing of most digital media, I still consume my reference books in paper. Things like RIC, BMCRE, etc. are all easier to read in physical format.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2021, 08:22:43 am »
As an academic librarian I’ve been hearing the “print is dead” mantra for 15 years now.  It is total BS.  I believe that every year more and more books are printed than the previous year, and it is getting cheaper.  I just received the new Cambridge Greek lexicon, a two volume hard bound set, for $53! Invariably all my students immediately gravitate to the web and when they finally get to the books, they wish they’d started there!

Internet is great for quick articles, databases, and fun stuff like forums and social media, so I can see why many magazines (and sadly, catalogs) are going online.  But for quality books and (most) academic stuff print is unbeatable. I even print all journal PDFs I receive because I just can’t engage deeply on the screen.

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2021, 01:23:48 pm »
I have a storeroom full of books for sale. Book orders are less than 10% of what they were 10 years ago.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2021, 01:39:31 pm »
Hi,

I love having the physical copy of a book. I see a number of auction catalogues that you have listed that I would like Joe but I suspect the shipping will be prohibitive to the UK, sadly.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2021, 02:20:01 pm »
I have a storeroom full of books for sale. Book orders are less than 10% of what they were 10 years ago.

Perhaps, but the usual attribution references should always be decent sellers as new people enter or advance through the hobby, I suspect.  Or maybe I'm wrong - dunno?

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2021, 02:22:24 pm »
Most people apparently are using online sources and have no need for books.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2021, 02:28:39 pm »
Interesting. I've yet to find online versions of Mattingly's RIC 4, BMCRE 5, Muchmov's RD records...

But I do have a online source for Cohen.  I use my hard copies anyhow. Guess I'm old fashioned.

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2021, 04:42:20 pm »
Most people apparently are using online sources and have no need for books.

I suspect many are looking for a quick attribution which is now easily done online.

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2021, 05:04:17 pm »
Sadly shipping costs are a killer for the used book market.  Especially cross-border shipping.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2021, 06:11:36 pm »
The trouble with online attribution, and even secondary references, is that errors and misattributions get perpetuated.

Regarded,

Mauseus

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2021, 06:24:30 pm »
The trouble with online attribution, and even secondary references, is that errors and misattributions get perpetuated.

Regarded,

Mauseus

Completely agree.  I un-scientifically would say upwards of 25% of the coins I buy from even reputable dealers are mis-attributed in some way.

Owning and using the primary references is without comparison. 

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2021, 06:31:01 pm »
I do not 100% agree. It's easier to correct mistakes online compare to written references. I just have the RIC in mind, we have to wait 40 years for a revised written edition of any volume... Samething with RPC online, really up to date VS the paper books.
DT

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2021, 06:58:57 pm »
As an academic librarian I’ve been hearing the “print is dead” mantra for 15 years now.

And this mantra is true. But "print is dead" doesn't mean that there will be absolutely no print. Print is dead just like theater was already dead century ago. Theaters still exist, there are many new performances, new plays etc. But the theater audience is probably less than 1% of the total audience. The rest watch movies, TV, YouTube... I don't want to argue whether it's good or bad. These are just facts.

My private opinion: digital books are far better. They don't need shelves or dusting. They are easy to find and - what is more important - they are searchable. They also don't need transport (which is sometimes more expensive than book). They are available immediately. I just borrowed ebook from my local library although there is past midnight in Poland. The whole borrowing lasted two or three minutes (login, search in catalogue, few mouse clicks).

I have more than 5000 paper books (in communist Poland books were one of few things worth to buy) but if someone could magically turn them into ebooks (except few from my childhood), I would bless him.
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2021, 07:03:46 pm »
I do not 100% agree. It's easier to correct mistakes online compare to written references.

For me it is obvious that all references, encyclopedias, dictionaries etc. should be digitalized and available online.
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

All coins are guaranteed for eternity