Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ghaznavid jital? ID help please  (Read 1436 times)

Offline crispus

• Consul
Ghaznavid jital? ID help please
« on: September 26, 2010, 11:24:52 pm »
 Anyone have ideas whose this is?

dltcoins

Re: Ghaznavid jital? ID help please
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 11:32:41 am »
Yildizid, Taj al-Din Yildiz, AH 602-612/ AD 1206-1212, bil. jital, Lahore, no date. Tye 201; Goron/Goenka D26; Rajgor 760. Your coin is not Ghaznavid but of the same type traditionally issued at Lahore by various rulers including the Ghaznavids. Yildiz succeeded the last Ghorid ruler at Ghazna but is not of the Ghorid line. Steve Album classifies him as a "Ghorid successor". Some use the dynastic name "Yildizid" but this is not technically correct since one ruler does not a dynasty make. Others, such as Goron and Goenka, include him as a rival with the Sultans of Dehli. Take your pick. I prefer Yildizid just because it's fun to say. 

Offline crispus

• Consul
Re: Ghaznavid jital? ID help please
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 06:35:32 pm »
Thanks for the ID and the background. I like to know something about the coins I handle so I can feel the history.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity