Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Cadi Demos  (Read 1083 times)

Offline Aleph

• Consul
Cadi Demos
« on: January 01, 2010, 08:09:38 pm »
This is a coin that really spoke to me when I saw.  The Demos head is very high relief and the Hercules just seemed really nice to me.  It is the first coin I have from Cadi in Phrygia (which seems to be one of the scarcer city so far as I can tell) and on top of that this is the largest pseudo-autonomous coin I have acquired at 29mm/15g.  In addition, I love a nice AE patina like this.  In spite of the flan flaws and the somewhat rough passage of time, I find it charming.  Anyway, I am not sure I have ever posted a coin of the day so here goes.

Happy New Year
Kevin

Phrygia, Cadi.  Pseudo-autonomous. 2nd cent. AD. Æ 29, 29.2 x 28.6 mm, 15.14g, 6h.
Obv.  …MOC.  Head of Demos laur. rt. as a boy.
Rev.  KADOHN[ON?].  Hercules stg. looking rt. holding club l. and apples rt. with lion skin over arm.
von Aulock -; BMC -; SNG Cop. -; Weber 7047 (same dies); Mionnet IV p. 249, 322.

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
Re: Cadi Demos
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 02:15:41 pm »
It sure seems that the gods liked their apples! Nice one.

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 02:43:21 am »
Anybody who can appreciate coins like this can't be a bad person. ;)
Andreas Reich

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 09:45:52 am »
Hi cckk!

The ethnic on the rev. will be usually KADOHN[WN], dative plural: the people of Kadoi.  Nice portrait BTW.

Best regards

Offline Noah

• Caesar
  • Viva Brasil! Pátria Amada!!
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 12:20:11 pm »
The coin sure has its merits!  The patina is nice, the portrait is stylistically a beauty, and it is an almost full strike!

Best, Noah

All coins are guaranteed for eternity