Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Minimas of Caesarea  (Read 18121 times)

a

Minimas of Caesarea
« on: October 02, 2008, 02:10:49 pm »
Hi all,

I would like to discuss about the special type of Holyland coin: minimas of Caesarea. I know that there are two reference works about these coins:
H. Hamburger, “Minute Coins from Caesarea,”  and Meshorer's "Treasury of Jewish coins".
The second one is listing 14 types imitating First Revolt prutahs.
Except of described in the Treasury I'm aware of the following existing types:
1. Tyre immitations with Tyche and galley.
2. Tyre immitations with Tyche and palm tree.
3. Trajan quadrans immitations with male head and animal.

What are another types that can be surely attributed as Caesarea minimas?

Best Regards,
Explorer

a

Re: Minimas of Caesarea
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 04:59:05 am »
Tyche/palm type

10mm/0.6g

a

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 05:00:45 am »
Tyche/galley

11mm/0.5g

a

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 05:03:03 am »
Tyche/galley

11mm/0.5g

a

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 05:04:26 am »
Tyche/galley?
12mm/0.6g

a

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 05:05:55 am »
Another Tyche/galley

10mm/0.6g

a

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 05:08:24 am »
Trajan/animal

9mm/0.4g

a

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 05:09:56 am »
Unknown type?

12mm/0.6g

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 12:45:04 pm »
According to Meshorer, many of these imitate Jewish coins, particularly the Jewish War prutot. Sometimes these types are found muled with the Tyrian and Sidonian types you show.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 05:53:48 pm »
Dr. Hamburger assigned four types of minute coins in his 1954 article, to the mint at Caesarea.  Head of Hercules/animal right, Head of Hercules/animal left, Tyche/galley, and Imperial bust /galley.   Kadman, "Coins of Caesarea Maritima" (1957) was more cautious, and based on the lack of inscriptions said that this assignation was conjectural, only.  Hamburger assigned Tyche/palm tree motif to Tyre, and small coins with Egyptian motifs, including the Griffin, were assigned to Alexandria.  Lee Levin, "Caesarea Under Roman Rule" (1975) proposed that Caesarea issued small coins for the whole region, but I did not see any direct numismatic evidence presented in support of this theory.  The most interesting idea I have heard is that these coins were issued for the soldiers stationed in each locality based on the coins circulating in each region at the time.  They were then transported and distributed along with the movements of the troops to areas such as Caesarea and the surrounding fields.  In addition to the small module coins studied in Dr. Hamburger's article, minute coins are found in Caesarea from many cities, including Antioch, Berytus, Sebaste, and many others, that in no way look like counterfeits or copies.  Large module coins that are obviously official issues from cities across the Roman world are also found in these outlying areas at Caesarea.  As Dr. Hamburger concluded in his article, this is a subject which could benefit from a concerted study.  As I have many of these small coins that I am now trying to catalog, I would be glad to hear of any other ideas that someone might have on this subject.  Thanks, V-drome
(the coin below is 9mm. approx. 0.9 g) gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=31085

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 09:46:36 pm »
I have always been interested in Minimae.  I am in a slow and unofficial process of creating a personal die study of some of the types, but their obscurity and rarity makes it quite difficult. I have only found a few die connections, but they are interesting.
The most similar minima (or at least it was sold as one) I have found to your type is attached.  It is not identical, but nevertheless similar.
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 11:37:16 am »
This is a very nice example.  It is amazing how much detail is on such small coins.  I know what you mean by slow process! I will send some more photos as I make them.  Thanks, V-drome. (This coin appears to me to be very similar to Hamburger #47 or #48, Atiqot Vol.I, 1954)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 04:51:16 pm »
More please.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 06:00:16 pm »
Here are some more variants I've found.
It seems that many different types were created.  Many mules shared obverse and reverse dies with other types of minimae.
Here are some examples:

Coin #1.
This has an amphora on the obverse (perhaps imitative that of the First Revolt Prutot) and a palm tree on the reverse (perhaps imitating that on the coins of Coponius and Ambibulus).

Coin #2.
This coin shares the obverse die of coin #1, but its reverse has 3 objects (?) in a wreath.

Coin #3.
Palm branch (?) on obv., bust on rev.

Coin #4. 
This coin has a palm branch on the obverse and a grape leaf on the rev.

Coin #5.
This coin shares the obverse die of coin #4, but its reverse depicts a tripod table (?) like on coins of Herod.

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 12:28:59 pm »
Hi Aarmale.  Do you know if any the coins you show were found near Caesarea?  I don't have anything exactly like them and I wonder if they could be from Jerusalem.  I read a great article by Meshorer a while ago (I think it was ANS winter 2000 newsletter #87), talking about how he used to find hundreds of coins near that city when he was just a boy.  Here are four more minimas known to be from Caesarea, along with a normal size year two revolt coin.  The first one has traces of an actual inscription (year 3).  Thx.

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 01:51:43 pm »
Hi Aarmale.  Do you know if any of these were found near Caesarea?  I don't have anything exactly like them and I wonder if they could be from Jerusalem.  I read a great article by Meshorer a while ago (I think it was ANS winter 2000 newsletter #87), talking about how he used to find hundreds of coins near the city when he was just a boy.  Here are four more minimas from Caesarea, along with a normal size year two revolt coin.  The first one has traces of an actual inscription (year 3).  Thx.

Very interesting!

The coin on the left looks like it is imitating a year 3 prutah (as you said) and the other 3 look like year 2 imitations.  Do some of the coins share reverse dies?  They also look like they may share with some of the similar coins I have attached.  Your coin #3 looks like it has the same dies as my attached coin #2, and perhaps your coin #1 shares the same dies as my attached coin #3.  Also, it looks like the rev(s) of your nos. 2, 3 and 5 share the rev dies as my attached coins #3 and #4.  Perhaps you can confirm this with the coins in hand.
This is a very interesting thread!

Aaron

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 05:05:53 pm »
Hi Aaron.  I added a clearer photo to my earlier post that may help.  My 2 and 4 appear to be the same type, but I can't say if they are the same actual dies.  My number 3 is quite worn so I also do not know if it is the same as the your second coin.  My number 3 does look very much like the Robert Deutch coin in your last post.  thx, Jimi

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 05:36:34 pm »
Jimi,

The revs of your nos. 2, 3 and 4 share the same die as the Deutch and CNG coins.  This is a very common reverse die amongst Minimae (see attached pictures).  The easy way to see if the die is the same as this is by checking if the stem of the leaf is slightly to the right of centre (when it is upside-down).
Even in an image manipulator, the obverses are hard to match. 
Your #3 probably is connected to the CNG coin's obverse because of the wreath border.
You will note that your coin #1 has a lid that leans to the left, which suggests that it shares the obverse die of the BM coin I previously attached.  Upon viewing the two pictures in an image manipulator, this seems to be the case.  Although the reverse is unclear, it is likely it shares the reverse die of the BM coin as well.  I believe this to be the case simply because the 2 other coins of this type known to me share this reverse die.  However, knowing minimae, this coin could have a different reverse altogether.

-Aaron

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2012, 07:48:33 pm »
BCC m11-15
Five Minute Coins from Caesarea Maritima 2nd-3rd cent. CE
OBV: bust of Hercules rt.
REV: various: Boar, wolf, bull or dog std. right.
in ex. SC, dots, or blank.
According to Hamburger, the coin on the left, an uncia inscribed [IMP CAES TRAIA]N
AVG GERM, is the prototype for these minimae which Hamburger assigns to the
mint at Caesarea.  AE 12.5-7 mm. 1.9-0.4 g.

BCC m16-20
Five Minute Coins from Caesarea Maritima 2nd-3rd cent. CE
REV: various: Boar, wolf, bull or dog std. right.
in ex. SC, dots, or blank.  The coin on the left may have an
imperial portrait, possibly Hadrian or Pius,instead of the bust of
Hercules. The inscription is not clear.
AE 12.5-7 mm. 1.3-0.6 g.
similar to Hamburger #35-58
Atiqot Vol.1 1954/56

BCC M21-BCC M40
Minute Coins from Caesarea Maritima
2nd-3rd cent. CE
[IMP CAES TRAIAN AVG
GERM]or no inscription.
REV: various: Boar, wolf,
bull or dog std. right.
in ex. SC, dots, or blank.
AE 11.0mm-5.5mm. 1.3-0.3 g.
m25 and m30 are two of the smallest of the "Hamburger Coins", at less than 6mm.

BCC m21-25

BCC m26-30

BCC m31-35

BCC m36-40  m36 may have an ibis reverse related to Alexandria issues.
m39 may have an imperial bust or a Roman style Hercules in place of the more usual eastern provincial style.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=3906

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2012, 08:17:54 pm »
Very nice!  You seem to have a very extensive collection of Minimae!  There was a recent paper published in the INR last winter on some Minimae (I have not managed to get my hands on a copy) that sounds interesting.

Three Small Coins (minimi) from Caesarea Maritima

Shai Hendler Lionel Holland

Abstract
Three small coins (minimi) bearing Jewish symbols, found at Caesarea Maritima, are described.
They are compared with similar coins published by Meshorer. Die identities are noted, and a
new reading of one of Meshorer’s specimens is suggested.

I was just wondering do you have any die connections?  I would think there would be few dies so this would be common.

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2012, 08:34:49 pm »
Hi Aaron, other than the vine leaf coins that I posted earlier that you identified for me, I have not positively ID'd any
die matches.  However I am just getting started photographing and examining them closely,
so there is a good chance something will turn up.  I am still trying to figure out the best way to catalog and
store these tiny coins.  It is a real challenge! Thanks, Jimi

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2012, 03:56:46 pm »
Nice update!

It is very clear how diverse these coins are in size and design.

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2012, 08:07:18 pm »
I have added a few more Hercules/animal type minimae to the above post.  Prior to digital cameras it was difficult to even see
these little coins, much less display and compare them.  I am hopeful that other collectors will be encouraged to present their coins and
help us get a better understanding of where and why they were produced. Here is a composite view of all the coins together.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-83101

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2012, 12:15:29 pm »
I just picked up the attached coin (seller's pic) as an "unknown possible Judaean" piece.  It meets many of the criteria for a minima, in that it's only about 1cm in diameter and quite thin.  I haven't gotten to weighing it yet.  The color is actually a very nice dark brown.  The seller's pic over exagerates any porosity!

I seems to "share" the somewhat common amphora design on the obverse (?), but the other side seems to mimic the single grain stalk design somewhat reminiscent of that on the prutah of Porcius Festus, or perhaps some of the earlier Procurators/Prefects.

I didn't see this design pictured in TJC, or in any of the posts above.

Thoughts / comments ?

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2012, 12:28:05 pm »
I just picked up the attached coin as an "unknown possible Judaean" piece.  It meets many of the criteria for a minima, in that it's only about 1cm in diameter and quite thin.  I haven't gotten to weighing it yet.

I seems to "share" the somewhat common amphora design on the obverse (?), but the other side seems to mimic the single grain stalk design somewhat reminiscent of that on the prutah of Porcius Festus, or perhaps some of the earlier Procurators/Prefects.

I didn't see this design pictured in TJC, or in any of the posts above.

Thoughts / comments ?

Wonderful! This is indeed a minima, and I have attached some coins that share your obverse die (or a similar one, perhaps cut by the same hand)!  Note that the reverse is different on your coin and it is likely your coin is muled with perhaps an imitation of the obverse of the Prutah of Gratus (just like the attached minima that is muled with an imitation of a prutah of Coponius/Ambibulus).  There were originally handles, but they may have worn off on the coin or on the die.

a

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2012, 10:33:17 am »

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2012, 06:42:41 pm »

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2012, 02:23:11 pm »

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2012, 02:33:03 pm »

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2012, 01:38:16 pm »

a

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2012, 02:21:53 pm »

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2012, 04:25:07 pm »

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2019, 05:20:26 pm »
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

All coins are guaranteed for eternity