Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: My First Rome issue (Constantius II)  (Read 1253 times)

Danegeld

My First Rome issue (Constantius II)
« on: September 03, 2006, 02:05:24 pm »
Here is a pleasent surprise.  It' my first issue from Rome (RP)  The coin is a Constantius II, Soldier Spearing Horseman on reverse.  The picture just doesn't do this little dime sized coin justice.  It's hard to hold the camera steady when you're using 17X magnification and a table lamp, LOL  :laugh:
http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/bigpic.cgi?img=coins/./ric/constantius_II/_rome_RIC_viii_272.jpg&ruler=./ric/constantius_II/i.html

Take Care
Ben  :)

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
Re: My First Rome issue (Constantius II)
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 05:11:16 pm »
You really should be more careful when cleaning coins, this one is cleaned way too harshly :-\

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline Scotvs Capitis

• Conservator Princeps
  • Caesar
  • This space intentionally left blank
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 05:28:00 pm »
Looks like electrolysis? OK if its a very last resort, but you will have a lot of pitted and rough surfaced coins with electrolysis and more will be ruined than saved.

Folks will be harsh on electrolysis as a primary method in this forum. While I employ it myself for difficult coins that won't respond to other less drastic cleaning techniques, we all would encourage you to try to avoid it if possible.

What is the method you used? Are you interested in learning the less destructive methods? If so, there are many who would jump on a chance to help;)

Don't get discouraged when folks jump all over you for harsh cleaning though, just mark it up to experience and keep cleaning!
SCOTVS CAPITIS - Hovstonoplis Tex
(Scott Head, TX)
My Gallery

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 05:36:40 pm »
I'm sorry if my posting was too straight forward, but it hurts my eyes when I see a formerly nice coin which's surfaces have been destroyed by electrolysis. I didn't mean to be impolite.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline Scotvs Capitis

• Conservator Princeps
  • Caesar
  • This space intentionally left blank
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 05:37:51 pm »
Lars, I don't think you were being to harsh or impolite, but I saw the fellow had 11 posts and figured I'd encourage him to keep at it. Nothing against you, you were speaking truth.  :)
SCOTVS CAPITIS - Hovstonoplis Tex
(Scott Head, TX)
My Gallery

Danegeld

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 05:52:43 pm »
No electro stuff used on this one, although I've used it on others with excellent results.  The coin had very hard/black concretion on it and had been soaked in olive oil for over three months with little progress.  I then soaked it in vineager (24 hrs) and brushed it with a brass brush.

Ben

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 05:56:37 pm »
Vinegar will take copper down to the bare metal very effectively, but it really isn'rt recommended for cleaning ancients.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Danegeld

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2006, 06:23:01 pm »
Vinegar will take copper down to the bare metal very effectively, but it really isn'rt recommended for cleaning ancients.

Yes, I'm still in the learning phase of this.  I've only been at the ancinet aspect of collecting for the past year, more off than on :)  This site has very VLAUABLE information which I'm just discovering.  I never knew it was here  :o

Ben

gavignano

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2006, 10:03:10 pm »
Danegeld - I think everyone on this board has "overcleaned" a few ancients., and we learn from others and trial and error. Check out the uncleaned discussion board. Great info!
I once killed a decent Aurelian anton with a steel brush (I ran out of brass ones and figured, if brass works ok, steel will get the crud off even faster....). In good conscience, I can't post a pic of this coin as I hid it in a drawer...and forget where.  Joe

All coins are guaranteed for eternity