Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ΣΕΒΑΣΤΟΣ ΚΑΙΣΑΡΕΩΝ  (Read 469 times)

Offline Waldemar S

• Caesar
ΣΕΒΑΣΤΟΣ ΚΑΙΣΑΡΕΩΝ
« on: July 27, 2021, 03:38:32 pm »
Is this RPC coin like mine , or is mine a different variation ? because I don t like this notation at the bottom of the obverse very well ?

https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/1/2991

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: ΣΕΒΑΣΤΟΣ ΚΑΙΣΑΡΕΩΝ
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 08:47:13 pm »
Dear Waldemar S and Board,

RPC I 2991 is a match for your coin, with the same obverse legends.  From the illustrated coins in the specimen list, I identified two different obverse dies, both of which have a short break in the legends above the emperor's head.  On your coin, struck from a third obverse die, there is no break, the lettering in this area being continuous.  The orientation of the legends shifted as a result.  With the possible exception of RPC I 2991/28, the lettering of the other coins in the (obverse) exergue is "ΡΕΩΝ ΣΑ" (belonging to "ΚΑΙΣΑΡΕΩΝ ΣΑΡΔΙΑΝΩΝ") whereas on your coin, we have "ΩΝ ΣΑΡΔΙ".  As a result of the extra room this freed up for the engraver, the last few letters of the ethnic were cut larger (i.e. than on the commonly seen die) to use up the available space and balance the legends/design.   

I hope that explanation makes sense and was of some help to you.

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline Waldemar S

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 01:31:33 am »
Mark Fox  +++

Thank you very much for the explanation , I understood everything , espacially since your explanation I had the impression thad something was wrong with the legend on the obverse on my coin .

Regards Waldek

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 02:30:35 am »

All coins are guaranteed for eternity