Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Late Medieval Fouree 16-17th century? Italian States?  (Read 362 times)

Offline lv88

• Consul
    • Armenian Numismatic Page
Late Medieval Fouree 16-17th century? Italian States?
« on: June 24, 2021, 12:01:31 pm »
Hi There,

This is a rather fringe request that I have struggled and failed with for several days now.
Its a fouree, and rather surprising. I think its Italian or papal states, and the coat of arms should be a clear giveaway, but after several days, I have simply given up! Any leads would be appreciated.

Thank you all in advance and apologies for crossing into early machine struck territory here.

Levon

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Late Medieval Fouree 16-17th century? Italian States?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 04:55:18 am »
Hi LV,

I specialize in collecting Italian Medieval coins, and I have seen thousands of them over the years (auctions, etc.). Your coin doesn't look like anything I have ever seen. Offhand, it is not something that looks familiar to me.

The circular swirls that surround the coat of arms look very odd to me. They are not official-looking.

Are you sure the coin is genuine? The fact that it appears to be plated is extremely odd for a Medieval coin. During that period in history, whenever there wasn't enough silver to strike X number of coins in pure silver, they simply de-based the silver and struck the coins using billon ("Mi" in Italian).

In your photos, I can't read the legends. In hand, can you see the legends more clearly? That may shed some light on this mystery.

Meepzorp

Offline lv88

• Consul
    • Armenian Numismatic Page
Re: Late Medieval Fouree 16-17th century? Italian States?
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2021, 09:39:04 am »
I did say fouree- implying contemporary forgery.
I found it-
ITALY. Parma. Ranuccio Farnese (1592-1622). Giulio.
Obv: RAN FARNE PAR E PL DVX IIII.
Crowned and garnished coat-of-arms.
Rev: S HILARIVS PAR PROTETOR.
St. Hilarius standing facing, head lowered right, holding Gospels.
MIR 993.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity