Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Coin Hoards, Volume IX; Greek Hoards, A. Meadows and U. Wartenberg  (Read 947 times)

Offline Pawel K

• Praetorian
Hi,

I'm seeking for Coin Hoards, Volume IX; Greek Hoards, edited by A. Meadows and U. Wartenberg; RNS 2002.

Specifically an article 'The oval series of aes grave' by M. Crawford from this book.

Anyone can help?

Offline Pawel K

• Praetorian
Re: Coin Hoards, Volume IX; Greek Hoards, A. Meadows and U. Wartenberg
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 03:24:49 pm »
Nobody? 😞

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2021, 12:12:20 pm »
I have the book you mention "Coin Hoards, Volume IX; Greek Hoards" and the article by Meadows with the title you cite is only 2 pages, so not a catalog as such. There are no accompanying plates.
The other sections of the 7 pages of that "Provenances, Attributions and Chronology of some Early Italian Coinages" are entitled "Rome (nos. 251-342)", "irnthii (543-544)", "fistlus (611-619)", AE with Oscian tiiatium (no. 699), "Carthaginian electrum with janiform head... (no. 2013)", and "Head of Dionysus r./Panther AE (nos. 2667-2673)".

If you would like me to scan the two pages of the "oval series..." send me an email (my address is in my profile) and I can scan them and send them by email.

Offline Pawel K

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2021, 01:38:32 pm »
Thank You!
I've almost lost hope for this paper :)

I'm interested only in the article, not plates or catalogue. I'm writing an email!

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 10:00:25 pm »
I have the book you mention "Coin Hoards, Volume IX; Greek Hoards" and the article by Meadows with the title you cite is only 2 pages, so not a catalog as such. There are no accompanying plates.
The other sections of the 7 pages of that "Provenances, Attributions and Chronology of some Early Italian Coinages" are entitled "Rome (nos. 251-342)", "irnthii (543-544)", "fistlus (611-619)", AE with Oscian tiiatium (no. 699), "Carthaginian electrum with janiform head... (no. 2013)", and "Head of Dionysus r./Panther AE (nos. 2667-2673)".

If you would like me to scan the two pages of the "oval series..." send me an email (my address is in my profile) and I can scan them and send them by email.

I will be very grateful if it is possible to somehow provide information from this same book about either 'page 656' or coin #656 or 'hoard #656'. There is a reference to 'Coin Hoards IX, 656' in a paper I'm studying and it's not clear what it is. It seems to refer to one coin but maybe it's a page number or maybe it's a plate image number of one coin? In any case it will be very helpful to learn what CH IX says about this hoard found at Campania in southern Italy and what's in the plates of those coins. If it's one coin it is almost certainly a Ptolemaic bronze coin.

Thank you,

PtolemAE

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 04:10:05 pm »
Quote from: PtolemAE on September 08, 2021, 10:00:25 pm
... There is a reference to 'Coin Hoards IX, 656' in a paper I'm studying and it's not clear what it is. It seems to refer to one coin but maybe it's a page number or maybe it's a plate image number of one coin? ...
In Google Books you see a snippet showing that 656 is the number of the hoard which had been found in Torraca:
https://books.google.de/books?redir_esc=y&hl=de&id=YVpmAAAAMAAJ&focus=searchwithinvolume&q=1934+torraca
(I hope you see that the same way I do).

With this you come to an article by Maria A. Mastelloni, Ripostiglio monetale di Campana località Torraca (CS), in: F. Panvini Rosati (Hg.), Ricerche sui materiali e studi tipologici (Archaeologica 119), Roma 1996, 47–56, where this hoard seems to be described (and which seems not to be available online :-\).

Not much, but perhaps it helps.

Regards

Altamura

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2021, 07:34:42 pm »
Quote from: PtolemAE on September 08, 2021, 10:00:25 pm
... There is a reference to 'Coin Hoards IX, 656' in a paper I'm studying and it's not clear what it is. It seems to refer to one coin but maybe it's a page number or maybe it's a plate image number of one coin? ...
In Google Books you see a snippet showing that 656 is the number of the hoard which had been found in Torraca:
https://books.google.de/books?redir_esc=y&hl=de&id=YVpmAAAAMAAJ&focus=searchwithinvolume&q=1934+torraca
(I hope you see that the same way I do).

With this you come to an article by Maria A. Mastelloni, Ripostiglio monetale di Campana località Torraca (CS), in: F. Panvini Rosati (Hg.), Ricerche sui materiali e studi tipologici (Archaeologica 119), Roma 1996, 47–56, where this hoard seems to be described (and which seems not to be available online :-\).

Not much, but perhaps it helps.

Regards

Altamura

Many kind thanks for your help and also from helvetica, who was able to forward a link to the PDF of that paper. It covers some interesting details about the hoard including size, weight, and die axis of each coin. Alas, no pics; nevertheless some relevant fine points of coin ids can sometimes be inferred from the physical details listed in Mastelloni's paper. It's an interesting little hoard with a combination of 3rd C. Greek Sicilian and Italo-Roman bronze coins. Some Ptolemaic bronze coins are known almost exclusively from finds on Sicily and this hoard is a rare exception - a handful of those coins are in this hoard found in southern Italy. Sort of an exception that proves the rule. Pics are still needed for specific type identifications and maybe the author can help with those.

Thanks again to the research aces here on FAC.

PtolemAE

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com

All coins are guaranteed for eternity