Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Eye of Horus  (Read 1316 times)

maximinvs

Eye of Horus
« on: September 28, 2020, 11:39:03 am »
Hi everyone,
I was hoping someone who knows a lot more than I do about faience and Egyptian antiquities could tell me if this Eye of Horus amulet is authentic or otherwise.

Thanks,
Ian

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
Re: Eye of Horus
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 05:30:48 pm »
While I am certainly no expert, I do own several faience antiquities, and my opinion is that it's more than likely authentic.

Craig

maximinvs

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 06:38:59 am »
Thanks for that Craig.
Regards,
Ian

Offline Russ

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2020, 03:03:35 am »
Just some observations... I've seen many, many utchats and this is the first one with the suspension hole in this direction. The detailing is the same on both sides; thus, it can be used as an eye of Horus or an eye of Ra. The faience is reticulated (open work), usually a sign of quality. From the remaining color of the glaze, I would say probably Third Intermediate Period or Later. If you were adventurous, like me, I would soak it overnight in Efferdent, the denture cleaner, it may remove most of the calcium (?) deposits on it.
Russ

maximinvs

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 08:39:10 am »
Thanks Russ, that is great information.
Cheers,
Ian

All coins are guaranteed for eternity