This is a list of some Armenian, and Numismatic links that I have compiled.
Some numismatic links might not be related to Armenia, and some Armenian links
wont be related to numismatics, but all are worth the look. I have also provided
a small summary of each link.
- Amal Hayati Collection
– This site displays the collection of Edmond Wardeh. A large portion of the
collection is from the Ilkhanids and Ayyubids, however you will find numerous
other dynasties, including Cilician Armenian. Not too much text, but if any,
all is in English.
- Anatolian Coins – Another site
with mostly a Turkic theme, includes a large collection of Cilician Armenian
coins. Many coins struck by Turkic and Mongol dynasties of the medieval era
in the cities of historic Armenia are covered here. It includes the legends
on coins in the various languages (There seem to be some errors though.).
Site content is mostly English, but some content in Turkish.
- Antique and Medieval Coins
of Azerbaijan - Displays coinage of some historic cities of Armenia. Little
content, but still worth the look. Content in English, Russian and French.
- Armenian House – A site on Armenian
literature, including classical and contemporary works, books on Armenian
history and the Armenian Genocide. The content is in Armenian, Russian and
- Armenian Numismatics –
A site in Russian by Alex Akopian dedicated to Armenian numismatics. Some
literature and references on the Islamic coinage of Armenia. Since then, an additional website has been made by above mentioned author with a list of personal publication.
- Armenian Numismatic Society – Home page of the
Armenian numismatic society. Contact information, list of publications for
sale and other information about the society.
- Armenian Studies at UCLA
- Home page of the Armenian Studies Program at University of California Los
Angeles. Introductory pages to various arts like metalwork, weaving and architecture
of Armenia. There is a bit on coins and images as well.
- Articles on the Byzantine Empire - Self explanatory, interesting stuff.
- Byzantine Bronzes -
A site dedicated to Byzantine coinage, mostly copper as well as some related
dyansties. Covers some ethnic Armenian emperors as well as Armenian related
coinage. All content is in English.
- Christian Rasmussen Collection
– The collection of Ilkhanid coins of Christian Rasmussen. Many cities of
historic Armenia are covered. . It includes the legends on coins in Arabic.
Not too much text, but all in English.
- Coin Archives – A website that
archives the Internet sales of several major auctioneers. A good reference
to research all types of sold coins.
- Charm.ru Library
- Some 19th and early 20th century rare numismatic literature in PDF format
can be downloaded here, I believe some Armenian related topics are covered
here. I think some books are originally from Google books, where one can search
for additional literautre. Also one may view Markov's
work on Jaylarids here - Armenian issues of this dynasty are included
as well. To explore general contents of the library see here.
- The Coins and History
of Asia – A site by Tom Mallon that covers Asian related coinage. There
are numerous dynasties displayed here, including Armenian ones, but the focus
is Sassanian coinage. Islamic dynasties in historic Armenia are also covered.
Many nice manuals and references on Sassanian coinage.All content in English.
- Coins of Moldavia and Wallachia
- A nicely done site, dedicated to the coinage of the mentioned region.
Content seems to be in Romanian and English.
- Coins Mania - A site
that seems to have copied most of the content of the Babacan page in regards
to Ottoman coins. However, some of the pics that are here are no longer on
the Babacan page. Site is Greek, but one should be able to navigate.
- The David Collection
- A site dedicated to a private collection of Islamic art and coins,
including large amounts of historical context. Covers some issues in
historic Armenia. Very nicely formatted page.
- Early Islamic Coins
- A site that shows the Collection of Islamic coins in hte Jim Roberts collection.
Little text but many dynasties and pics. Many Islamic dynasties of historic
Armenia are covered. All content is English.
- Eron Coins - A site similiar to
Anatolian Coins and Chengiz Babacan Collection. Site features mostly Turkic
coinage, but also inculdes some Greek coins.
- French and English
Royal Medieval Coins | Coins of Venice- A nice cite of the above mentioned
areas. All content is in English.
- Georgian Numismatics - A site dedicated
to Georgian numismatics. All content in English.
- History and Coins:
Articles - a Webpage of M. Bates , linking to some of his Near Eastern
and related numismatic articles. Some Armenian related topics here.
of Armenia - An online version of Kurkjians classic work on Armenian history.
Numerous illustrations of Armenian coins.
History of the Crusades- An online version of all 6 volumes of the University
of Wisconsin classic work on the crusades. Comprehensive coverage of the history,
including Cilician Armenia. Numismatic topics covered too. Highly recommended.
- History Museum of Armenia
- This is homepage of the State History Museum in Yerevan, Armenia. See some
of their exhibits, including their coins. Decent amount of decent stuff.
- Kodges Electronic Library
- A Russian website with a large amount of digitized books. Some
important and scarce works long since out of print and hard to find on
numismatics, mainly in Russian, can be freely downloaded here.
- Maskukat Collection - A
site displaying the coin collection of Fawzan Barrage. Theme is mostly medieval
Islamic, European and Crusader.
- The Melikian Collection - A site dedicate to a private collection of artifacts, mostly Armenian.
- Orthodox Coins - Basically a
site dedicated to coinage of medieval Balkan states as Bulgaria and Serbia.
With work progressing, this is an excellent site to visit for those interested
on the topic.
- Ottoman Coinage - A site covering
Ottoman coinage. Includes issues in many cities of historic Armenia. Content
in Turkish and English.
- Paroian Collection - A site displaying a collection of Cilician Armenian coins.
- Parthian Coins -
A site dedicated to Parthian coinage. Very nicely done. All content in English.
- P.J. Symes Articles
- A list of banknote articles by P.J Symes, include some Armenian-related
articles about Baku issues of 1918.
- Royal Numismatic Society of Belgium
- A site of the mentioned numismatic organization. Most of their
articles from Revue Belge de Numismatique are conveniently availible on site.
- Robert Bedrosian's Home Page - A page
of Dr. Bedrosian covering some aspects of Armenian history. Some very useful
and interesting writing.
History Through Coinage - A site portraying coinage of medieval Serbia.
A nicely done site. All content in English.
- The Spink Numismatic Circular - Recent issues of the journal, availible online for free in PDF form, some nice numismatic articles in there.
- Tbileli - A small site showing some images of rarer Georgian coins in color. Worth a look.
- A website that covers the excavations of the city of Tigranakert in
Artsakh. Nice photos and discussion of finds at site, but oddly no
coins? Also nicely complemented by this video.
- Turkish Numismatic Society
- This is the home page of the TND. Here they have all of their articles from
their bulletins. Many Armenian topics. Unfortunately, majority of articles
in Turkish, but still pictures.
- Umayyad Dirhams and their
Mints - Covers mints of the Umayyad dirhams, and their dates, some important
coverage of Armenian mints.
- Virtual Ani – A site dedicated to
the ruins of Ani as well as Armenian monuments in Turkey. Content in English
- Virtual Tao-Klarjeti - Similiar to Virtual Ani, a site dedicated to medieval Georgian monuments of the Armeno-Georgian marchlands of Tayk/Tao.
- WildWinds - An online database of
Roman, Greek and Byzantine coinage. An excellent and highly recommended site.
All content in English.
- Zeno Oriental Coins Database - The name
speaks for itself. This is a database created by Vladimir Belyaev. A number of Armenian coins are listed.