The Age of Gallienus
Ancient Coin Collecting 101
Ancient Coin Prices 101
Ancient Coin Dates
Ancient Coin Lesson Plans
Ancient Coins & Modern Fakes
Ancient Oil Lamps
Ancient Wages and Prices
Ancient Weights and Scales
Anonymous Class A Folles
Armenian Numismatics Page
A Cabinet of Greek Coins
Caesarean and Actian Eras
Campgates of Constantine
A Case of Counterfeits
Byzantine Christian Themes
Coins of Pontius Pilate
Conditions of Manufacture
Corinth Coins and Cults
Countermarked in Late Antiquity
Denarii of Otho
Die Alignment 101
Dictionary of Roman Coins
Doug Smith's Ancient Coins
Edict on Prices
ERIC - Rarity Tables
The Evolving Ancient Coin Market
Facing Portrait of Augustus
Fel Temp Reparatio
Fertility Pregnancy and Childbirth
Friend or Foe
The Gallic Empire
Greek Coin Denominations
Greek Mythology Link
Greek Numismatic Dictionary
Hellenistic Names & their Meanings
Helvetica's ID Help Page
The Hexastyle Temple of Caligula
Identifying Ancient Metal Arrowheads
Illustrated Ancient Coin Glossary
Important Collection Auctions
Islamic Rulers and Dynasties
People in the Bible Who Issued Coins
Imperial Mints of Philip the Arab
Later Roman Coinage
Library of Ancient Coinage
Life in Ancient Rome
List of Kings of Judea
Maps of the Ancient World
Museum Collections Available Online
The [Not] Cuirassed Elephant
Not in RIC
Numismatic Excellence Award
Pi-Style Athens Tetradrachms
Pricing and Grading Roman Coins
Reading Judean Coins
Representations of Alexander the Great
Roman Coin Attribution 101
Rome and China
Satyrs and Nymphs
The Sign that Changed the World
Silver Content of Parthian Drachms
Star of Bethlehem Coins
Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum
Taras Drachms with Owl Left
The Temple Tax Hoard
Travels of Paul
Tribute Penny Debate Continued (2015)
Tribute Penny Debate Revisited (2006)
Uncleaned Ancient Coins 101
What I Like About Ancient Coins
Who was Trajan Decius
Latin: Virtus Augusti - to the Courage of the Emperor.
|Please add updates or make corrections to the NumisWiki text version as appropriate.|
VIRTVS AVG (Augusti):
- Various types. Valour standing left holding spear and parazonium, sometimes placing foot on helmet; valour standing right holding spear and leaning on shield or branch and sceptre; Valour seted right holding spear - sometimes suppliant female and captives; emperor galloping to right, striking enemy with spear; Mars, helmeted, standing or walking, holding olive branch and spear, or spear and trophy, or spear and leaning on a shield; Hercules standing leaning on club, holding lion's skin and bow, or trophy; Soldier standing leaning on shield - on coins of Antoninus Pius, Marcus Aurelius, Commodus, Pescennius Niger, Septimius Severus, Julia Domna (hybrid coin), Severus Alexander, Gordian III, Philip I, Philip II, Trajan Decius, Aemilian, Gallienus, Postumus, Victorinus I, Marius, Claudius II, Quintillus, Aurelian, Tetricus I, Tetricus II, Tacitus, Florianus, Diocletian, Carausius, Allectus, Constantius I, Severus II, Constans, Constantius II, and Constantius Gallus.
- Palas standing left, holding spear and leaning on a shield. Obv: CAI . . . ESC NIGER IVS AVG (Justus), laureate head of Pescennius Niger right; silver.
- Hercules standing right, resting head on club, and holding bow and lion's skin. Obv: IMP GALLIENVS AVG, bust of Gallienus right, with cuirass, and armed with a spear and shield, on which the head of Medus; gold medallion.
- Helmeted bust of Mars left, with the features of Gallienus or helmeted head of Valour right; on gold and billon coin of Gallienus.
- Gallienus standing right, holding spear and receiving a Victory from the hands of Rome, helmeted standing, leaning against a shield and holding a spear; on billon coins of Gallienus.
- Gallienus standing left, holding spear, crowning a trophy and leaning on a shield; he is being crowned by Victory, standing, holding a palm; at the foot of a trophy a captive kneeling between two captives seated. Obv: IMP GALLIENVS P F AVG, laureate bust of Gallienus left, armed with spear and shield, ornamented with head of Medusa; bronze medallion,
- Helmeted head of Gallienus to left. Obv: SALONINA AVG (Augusta), diademed bust of Salonia right; billon.
- Mars standing in a tetrastyle temple. Obv: IMP C VICTORINVS P F AVG, radiate bust of Victorinus right; billon.
- Victory walking to left or to right, holding wreath and palm; on billon coins of Carausius and Allectus.
- Vessel with four or seven rowers, or without rowers; sometimes on the prow a female standing; on billon coins of Allectus.
- Lion standing to left, above in the field a club; in the exergue P ARL. Obv: LICINIVS P F AVG, laureate head of Licinius I right; gold.
- Constantius II in military dress, bare head, standing right, leaning on shield and holding a globe surmounted by a Victory; to right a female or a province seated on the ground. Obv: D N CONSTANTIVS P F AVG, diademed bust of Constantius II right; bronze medallion.