Achaia (Akhaía), GREECE. Also spelled Achaea. During Mycenaean times it referred to the whole of the Peloponnese, but otherwise to a region on the north coast of the Peloponnese. Its original name, Ægialus, meant ‘shore’ from its location. When the Ionians settled here they called the place after themselves. It received the name Achaea when the Achaei superseded the Ionians. As the Achaean League, a military alliance, it passed to the Romans in 198 BC, becoming part of the Roman province of Macedonia in 146 BC and a province in its own right in 27 BC. It was under Ottoman Turkish rule between 1460 and 1828.
|Please add updates or make corrections to the NumisWiki text version as appropriate.|
ACHAIA.- On this part of Greece, and especially at Athens, the most munificent public benefits, of almost every description, were bestowed by the Emperor Hadrian. - Eckhel, vi. p. 487. See