Home > Catalog > Roman Coins > Crisis and Decline > Tranquillina > RP73194
Tranquillina, Augusta, May 241 - 25 February 244 A.D., Alliance of Perga and Side, Pamphilia
Perga was renowned for the worship of Artemis, whose temple stood on a hill outside the town, and in whose honor annual festivals were celebrated. Side's Temple of Apollo was located at the end of the city's peninsula site, overlooking the sea.
RP73194. Bronze AE 26, SNG BnF
500 (same dies), Franke-Nolle
1669 (same dies); BMC Lycia
p. 142, 107, aVF, well centered
, nice jade green patina
, Perga mint, weight
11.610g, maximum diameter
26.5mm, die axis
, consular legate Tertullianus, May 241 - 25 Feb 244; obverse
CΑΒΕΙ ΤΡΑΝΚVΛΛΕΙΝΑΝ CΕΒ, draped bust
right, crescent behind shoulders; reverse
ΠΕΡΓΑΙΩΝ CΙ∆ΗΤΩΝ ΟΜΟΝΟΙΑ, Artemis
of Perga on left, standing right, quiver over shoulder, long torch in left hand, clasping right hands
of Side, he is turning right, looking back left, long scepter
in his left; SOLD
Catalog current as of Saturday, September 23, 2017.
Page created in 0.483 seconds.