Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Greek, 11.5mm - I'm enamored, but could use some help  (Read 432 times)

Offline EvaJupiterSkies

• Praetorian
Greek, 11.5mm - I'm enamored, but could use some help
« on: January 21, 2015, 08:12:00 pm »
I'm quite in love with this tiny little Greek (?) coin from my uncleaned lot, but I'm going nowhere with any sort of ID.  It doesn't help that you can only kind of see the face, and... that's it, really.  I was starting to lose contrast in the cleaning process actually, so I elected to stop and wax it, while it still has some kind of chance at an ID.

Anyways, 11.5mm or so, bust facing right obverse, and no idea on a reverse.  I was thinking the face was looking a bit masculine, so I was leaning something like Apollo on the obverse, but it also looks like there might've been some head gear present back in the day, so I've also been looking at Athena and Artemis for obverse in particular. 

I ran through a good portion of the Greek coins for sale here first, to see if I could find a sense of direction to go looking in.  Then I hopped over to acsearch (which I love by the way... marvelous stuff!) and typed in almost every combination I could think of for what I thought it might be.  I tried to look through Wildwinds too, but looking on there is a lot more intimidating if you don't have any letters or mint marks or ideas as to what emperor something might be to give you a vague idea.  I'm not well-versed in Greek coins (I'm a Roman woman, through and through), so if someone sees some vague facial recognition, has any clue about what the reverse may have once been, or can help me narrow down a time period or region to go looking through, I'd be quite grateful.

I also sincerely apologize for the quality of the picture.  I took about 20 of them in different lighting with different backgrounds, and this little sucker is just so tiny that it's hard to get focused.. also tried messing with the filters, but none of them helped either (Filters are so weird).  Add "really nice camera" to the list of things I buy if I ever hit the lotto...

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Greek, 11.5mm - I'm enamored, but could use some help
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 08:23:36 pm »
it looks to me like a 'turreted head of Tyche' obverse, and possibly a cornucopia on the reverse.

~ Peter

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: Greek, 11.5mm - I'm enamored, but could use some help
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 08:25:37 pm »
I was going to say the obverse shows Antiochus IV, so a Seleukid coin.  But Peter might be right, now that I look again. 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity