Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Red Slip Ware stamped VMBI  (Read 1387 times)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Red Slip Ware stamped VMBI
« on: January 20, 2015, 03:16:01 pm »
Hi all.  I was not sure which board to list this.  Here is a small fragment of red slip ware from Caesarea Maritima with the potter's stamp VMBI.  Any ideas on reference or date would be appreciated.   I found a French article on stamps from Algeria which referred to the "name VMBI (CVArr, 2385 sq 38a)", but I don't know what that reference means.
Thanks, V-drome.

BCC CG9
Ceramic Fragment
1st - 4nd century CE?
Red slip ware  pottery fragment with ligatured stamp VMBI,
within an incuse rectangle.  From the beach south of
Caesarea Maritima, 1974.
4.65cm.x2.55cm.x0.4cm.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Red Slip Ware stamped VMBI
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 09:35:32 am »
First I think this thread should be moved to the Other Antiquities section.  It really deals with a Pottery question and not a stamp question.

Your VMBI stamp is the mark of the potter L. Umbricius who was active in Tuscany.  I have found dates ranging from 10 BC - AD 50, to the narrower AD 15-30.  This latter was given for a stamp very like yours so it is likely best.

http://rua.ua.es/dspace/bitstream/10045/4436/1/Lucentum_07-08_08.pdf

This is true Arretine pottery (1st c AD, Northern Italy) , hence the pre-cursor to the slightly later Terra Sigillata or Samian Ware though they are often grouped together.

It was likely on a small dish.

Such early examples are relatively rare.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 02:47:35 pm »
Hi Shawn,

It is a very nice article .. +++

Thanks for sharing..

Best regards
 Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 06:24:13 pm »
Very interesting!  Thanks, again, Shawn and Quadrans.

Jimi

All coins are guaranteed for eternity